(Archived) Tips for Handwritten Notes?

Just started with Evernote and I am seeing all the possibilities.  I am looking to scan handwritten notes into Evernote.  Any tips as far as increasing the ability of Evernote to OCR it (e.g. paper (aside from Moleskine), ink color, etc?).

Thanks!

I'll state the obvious - for the best shot at OCR of handwritten notes, scan the document to a JPG or PNG image, not PDF.  If you have multiple pages to go into the same note, you can combine notes with each image. 

I have had the best luck with OCR of my handwriting when I use printing rather than cursive. That may say more about my cursive rather than Evernote's text recognition. 

I will say the whole recognition of text in images is interesting and fun, but still somewhat of a novelty to me. I have seen clear text in images that does not get picked up and I have seen skewed text and poor handwriting be successfully recognized and indexed. I would suggest that you also use definitive note titles and tags and maybe type in some keywords within the note in addition to the image of your handwritten note.  

Don't let me discourage you.  I have a lot of handwritten notes in Evernote. I tend to take handwritten notes during phone calls and meetings rather than type into a computer.  Even stuff that gets scribbled down on a sticky-note or back of envelope.  I'll either scan it or take a picture of it with the cell phone camera and send it to Evernote.  Then I'll process it with dates, titles and keywords.  I always tag my handwritten stuff with a "HW" tag for handwritten so I can pull up all of those notes and scroll through them if need be to find something. 

I cannot say enough good things about the Livescribe Wifi pen. It's been a note-taking lifesaver for me. That, combined with EN and the added benefit of audio recordings make this solution well worth the $$$ for me.

I cannot say enough good things about the Livescribe Wifi pen. It's been a note-taking lifesaver for me. That, combined with EN and the added benefit of audio recordings make this solution well worth the $$$ for me.

My only hold back is the need to use their notebooks.  

Archived