(Archived) Evernote Security on Work Notebook

I have a Premium account that I use for everything, business and personal.  I have it on my MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad.  I would like to use it on my work issued ThinkPad, but I'm concerned that my company might have the ability to get my EverNote database somehow.  So, here are my questions.

1)  Is Evernote safe or hackable if I put it on my work issued notebook?

2)  I'm I better off just using a web version of EverNote?  Is so, I think that I lose the clipping functionality. 

3)  Any other ideas?

Thank you,

Doug

• Level 5*

I have a Premium account that I use for everything, business and personal.  I have it on my MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad.  I would like to use it on my work issued ThinkPad, but I'm concerned that my company might have the ability to get my EverNote database somehow.  So, here are my questions.

2)  I'm I better off just using a web version of EverNote?  Is so, I think that I lose the clipping functionality. 

3)  Any other ideas?

Thank you,

Doug

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

1. Nothing is safe from being hacked, especially if someone has physical access to it. IT may have the ability to remote access your device. They may even have the ability to view what you are doing in real time. This is relatively easy to do, and not uncommon. They have the right to do whatever they want with that machine, and I don't think it is a good idea to do something with it that might put you in a compromising position. 

2. Sure. The data won't be stored on your machine, so you don't have to worry about that. The Clipper works fine, because it sends things directly to the Evernote servers anyhow, and that data is what you are viewing through the Web.

3. Sure. If you want to use the work computer, but have sensitive data in your account, consider creating a separate account for work. Put everything that is not sensitive into a notebook in your regular account that you share to your work one (a Premium account affords you the ability to modify notes). It will function just fine (tags are an exception, but we can talk about that if you go down this road). Or, you could use your regular account on every device, but store sensitive stuff in a local notebook on your own computer. This stuff will not sync to everything (that is the downside) but it is also inaccessible to others. 

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288

3)  Any other ideas?

Thank you,

Doug

Please search the board on security and/or encryption. This has been discussed already a lot. In a nutshell, the database in the Windows or Mac desktop app is not encrypted.

I have a Premium account that I use for everything, business and personal.  I have it on my MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad.  I would like to use it on my work issued ThinkPad, but I'm concerned that my company might have the ability to get my EverNote database somehow.  

I agree with GM...

IT may have the ability to remote access your device. They may even have the ability to view what you are doing in real time. This is relatively easy to do, and not uncommon. They have the right to do whatever they want with that machine, and I don't think it is a good idea to do something with it that might put you in a compromising position. 

Archived