(Archived) Workflow

Hi guys,

I would like to achieve the following and, before spending any money, I would like to know if the following is possible.

I am taking a lot of notes for my work. The issue is that I am unable to access Evernote at work (forbidden) and I am unable to send work related information with my mail.

So to create my daily notes, I have been recording whatever I want to remember on a Word file, I have been printing it and I was creating my notes home by typing the content I have been typing already. THis is the best solution I found, as before I was typing my notes using a Wireless keyboard on my iPhone.... Both solutions are highly inefficient.

So what I would like to do is the following:

• Keep on typing my notes on word everyday.
  • Print the document at the end of the day.
  • Scan it home, not in a PDF format but directly in an editable note. So basically, I create a note from the paper I have been printing.
  • I will do the formatting by myself, but it should not take me much time. 

Is it possible to do this?

Do I need to have a premium account?

Which scanner do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help,

T.

• Level 5*

Hi guys,

I would like to achieve the following and, before spending any money, I would like to know if the following is possible.

I am taking a lot of notes for my work. The issue is that I am unable to access Evernote at work (forbidden) and I am unable to send work related information with my mail.

So to create my daily notes, I have been recording whatever I want to remember on a Word file, I have been printing it and I was creating my notes home by typing the content I have been typing already. THis is the best solution I found, as before I was typing my notes using a Wireless keyboard on my iPhone.... Both solutions are highly inefficient.

• Scan it home, not in a PDF format but directly in an editable note. So basically, I create a note from the paper I have been printing.

T.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I want to understand your restrictions a little better.

(1) Will your employer let you access the Internet?

(2) Will your employer let you plug in a USB stick / thumb drive?

(3) Will your employer let you use your own mobile device at work?

If the answer is "no" to all of the above, then typing your notes in Word, scanning with a scanner, and putting them into Evernote should be fine. I prefer to do OCR myself, but Evernote can do it for you. You do need to be a Premium member to have your notes OCR'd, but you don't need to be Premium if you do the OCR yourself. If you buy a scanner, I recommend any of the Fujitsu Scansnap models. My favorite (best features for the money) is the ix500, but there are many other models, and given your relatively light use, a less expensive one ought to be fine.

If your answer was no to any of the questions above, then there are other options.

(1) If you can use the Internet, then you can just use Evernote online at www.evernote.com.

(2) You can copy the file onto the drive, take it home, and copy/paste the content into Evernote.

(3) You can just type up your notes on your mobile device directly (I prefer the bluetooth keyboard paired with my iPad or iPhone).

Hi guys,

T.

If the answer is "no" to all of the above, then typing your notes in Word, scanning with a scanner, and putting them into Evernote should be fine. I prefer to do OCR myself, but Evernote can do it for you. You do need to be a Premium member to have your notes OCR'd, but you don't need to be Premium if you do the OCR yourself. If you buy a scanner, I recommend any of the Fujitsu Scansnap models. My favorite (best features for the money) is the ix500, but there are many other models, and given your relatively light use, a less expensive one ought to be fine.

If your answer was no to any of the questions above, then there are other options.

(1) If you can use the Internet, then you can just use Evernote online at www.evernote.com.

(2) You can copy the file onto the drive, take it home, and copy/paste the content into Evernote.

(3) You can just type up your notes on your mobile device directly (I prefer the bluetooth keyboard paired with my iPad or iPhone).

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

The answers to all your questions is no. Actually I have access to Internet but not to Evernote.

My daily Notes are not very big. Maybe 2 Word pages. I can probably scan then with my iPhone to start and then create a PDF to send it to my mac.

Now that I have the pdf on the Mac, I don't know how to make the document editable, so that I can copy the text and reformat it into a nice Evernote.

Can the pro version do this? If I need a OCR software, which one do you recommand?

Thx a lot, T.

• Level 5*

Hi guys,

T.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

The answers to all your questions is no. Actually I have access to Internet but not to Evernote.

My daily Notes are not very big. Maybe 2 Word pages. I can probably scan then with my iPhone to start and then create a PDF to send it to my mac.

Now that I have the pdf on the Mac, I don't know how to make the document editable, so that I can copy the text and reformat it into a nice Evernote.

Can the pro version do this? If I need a OCR software, which one do you recommand?

Thx a lot, T.

Yes, you can scan them with your iPhone (I like jotnot and scannerpro), email them into your account, and Evernote will do the OCR for you. I think if they are only two pages, emailing them as jpg files might be best for the OCR, but you can experiment with that. If you want to make them editable, though, it is a little more of a hassle. You'll have to export the OCR'd PDF from Evernote (after doing the process described above) and then copy/paste that content into a note (this will extract the text from the PDF).

I don't understand why you would go through all of this tremendous hassle, though. Are you saying that your company has blocked every single email service, they have specifically blocked Evernote at www.evernote.com (did the IT guy have a bad experience with Evernote or something?), and there is simply no way you could get your notes into Evernote directly (without the hassle of print > scan > OCR)? That sounds bizarre. What can you do on the Internet, then?

Assuming you can log into something like gmail, just email the Word file (or, better yet, text) into your account directly. Then, there is no hassle.

Hi I cannot send anything to my gmail account. The only thing I can do is to print them out and scan them. I guess for evernote, this is because you can attach file. SO I guess it is not possible to create a note easily from a PDF. I need to use the pdf, OCR it, copy the content and re-paste it to another note?

I found that Pixter can do the OCR, but there is no formatting.... THanks, you have been very helpful!

• Level 5*

Hi I cannot send anything to my gmail account. The only thing I can do is to print them out and scan them. I guess for evernote, this is because you can attach file. SO I guess it is not possible to create a note easily from a PDF. I need to use the pdf, OCR it, copy the content and re-paste it to another note?

I found that Pixter can do the OCR, but there is no formatting.... THanks, you have been very helpful!

I am still unclear about your Internet access. What happens if you go to www.evernote.com? Are you unable to go there? What happens if you try to go to Google? Does it block you? If so, then what can you do with the Internet?

Hmmm ... if your employer is so keen to prevent material from getting onto the internet, I think you should be careful that you are not violating your terms of employment by printing / taking home / scanning / saving to an internet-based service. Presumably all their restrictions are there for a purpose, and yet you are working hard to circumvent their policies ... just something to think about!

Archived