SeaMonkey Browser

bnsdca

I can't imagine more than a couple of lines in the coding would need to be changed to adjust the Firefox add-on to work for SeaMonkey!

Bill

EN has chosen to not support it. No reason was stated, nor is one required. It may simply just be it's not a priority for them.

• 3 weeks later...

jrstark, thanks for starting a movement - :rolleyes: !!

MakeUseOf.com had an article on EWC and it was very compilentary to Evernote.

I left a very sincere comment on the MakeUseOf site regarding this.

You may find it here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/evernotes-new-web-clipper-is-the-ultimate-content-saving-tool/ .

You can find my comment/observation under the user name: William B

I also saw on this forum that someone had written the code for SeaMonkey and wanted to know who to contact in order to have it included.  As I said in my MakeUseOf comment, Firefox = Mozilla - SeaMonkey = Mozilla.  How hard can this be?

Enjoy,

Bill

I was able to get Evernote to install in SeaMonkey by editing the install.rdf and chrome.manifest files in the .xpi file of the installer. Whether it functions completely normally, I cannot tell, but you could try it out yourself. For install.rdf, I added a new section right under the Firefox target application area:

<!-- Seamonkey -->          <em:targetApplication>             <Description>                <em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id>                <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>                <em:maxVersion>3.0</em:maxVersion>             </Description>          </em:targetApplication>

For chrome.manifest, I had to add 2 extra parts:
Under #Firefox main window item:

# SeaMonkey    overlay   chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul   chrome://webclipper3/content/webclipperOverlay.xul

Under #Firefox style item:

#SeaMonkey style    style   chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul   chrome://webclipper3/skin/webclipperOverlay.css

OS/2 is Linux, and I am using Mac OS.  Afraid it is not relevant for me.

Well, I could agree that OS/2 is not relevant to you, though it is not Linux (see http://www.ecomstation.com). However, your Mac is based on BSD, which is surely closer to Linux. :)

My diff also addresses changes to the Tools menu in the browser, in case you use that instead of the status bar icon (though I have not yet implemented the complete submenu as it appears in Firefox). Also note changes to support the preferences panel (unless those only apply to making the app function on OS/2 as it does on Linux - can't quite recall offhand).

Cheers

I've managed to install Evernote Clearly using the same method:

install.rdf

<em:targetApplication>    <!-- SeaMonkey -->    <Description>        <em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id        <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>        <em:maxVersion>*</em:maxVersion>    </Description></em:targetApplication>

chrome.manifest

# SeaMonkey main windowoverlay chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul chrome://readable-by-evernote/content/browser.xul

There's no icon in the Navigation Bar though. Does anyone know know how to add it? At the moment it's still possible to use the extension through keyboard shortcuts :P

EDIT

It's possible to add the Clearly icon manually so I think it can be said that Evernote Clearly also works 100% properly in SeaMonkey.

• 1 year later...

I'm giving a new run to Seamonkey, after LXLE Linux distro decided to make it their default browser, and I must say I'm enjoying it very much, particularly for it's low memory consumption.

However I'm missing dearly the Evernote Clearly add-on, and from what I understand, the effort to support Seamonkey is quite small after you already developed a Firefox extension.

I hope Evernote reconsider it's opinion regarding Seamonkey support.

• 5 months later...

Archived