Evernote crashing when I use it

Savcom

Such a shame.

I'm moving from Catch Notes (as they are closing the service) and was led to Evernote by all the glowing reviews and articles praising it's virtues.

So I come to use it and, while I can access my notes on my Android device, I cannot seem to get any stability on my Windows 7 desktop.

I'm running version 4.6.7.8409.  Evernote crashes repeatedly whenever I :-

Try to sync my account

Change to a different spell check language

Import (some) .enex files

look at the Trunk

and numerous other activities.

Looking at the log is less than intuitive - the last error gave this in the AppLog file:

Log opened on 2013/08/15 23:36:00 (UTC+1:00)

23:36:00 [5644] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe"
23:36:00 [5644] Client info: Evernote Windows/268917; Windows/6.1.7601 Service Pack 1;
23:36:00 [5644] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedBundled)
23:36:00 [5092] Requesting bootstrap info from "www.evernote.com" (en-US)
23:36:00 [5092] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com
23:36:01 [5644] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedDatabase)
23:36:01 [5644] Opened database: C:\Users\Martin\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\savcom.exb (5.7MB Fixed)
23:36:02 [5092] 0% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 1s
23:36:02 [5092] 0% * sent: 99B, received: 319B
23:36:02 [5092] 0% * 1s (92%) spent in EDAM RPC
23:36:02 [5092] Bootstrap info: request to "www.evernote.com" returned profiles: Evernote
23:36:02 [5092] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedFresh)
23:36:06 [5644] Loading embedded browser url: http://evernote.com/about/trunk/?layout=inapp
23:36:06 [4900] 0% Authenticating user "savcom"

Does the 0% mean it's not completed that action?  I have logged out and back into my account, and the account works when I log in on my Android phone, tablet - or via a browser.

What's going on?

Oh, and Hi.  I'm new to Evernote.  :)

Savcom

• Level 5*

Hi - I'd suggest you raise a support ticket just to check whether there is a problem with your account,  although if the web and mobile versions are working for you it would seem not.  And as to your W7 setup - I'd recommend closing Evernote down completely, backing up and uninstalling your current setup,  and starting again,  allowing the server copy of your data to download to the desktop.

You mention you "Import (some) .enex files" - can you explain a little more why you need to do that?

Hi Gazumped.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have already uninstalled and re-installed Evernote, but I've not deleted my account info on the desktop.  I'll try your suggestion after backing up my account on the desktop

As I stated in the first sentence my OP, I am having to move my notes from another cloud-based application - Catch.  This service is closing down at the end of August so I need to get my info into another service.  Their export options include 'Evernote compatible files' - .enex files - so this is why I was importing .enex files.  They're the notes I exported from Catch. 

And before you ask, Evernote was unstable before I started this process, unfortunately.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Savcom

Thanks for that Gazumped.  that seems to have cured it.

Now.  Does this mean I have a corrupt profile - or a corrupt database?  Perhaps I'll never know.

To be safe, I'll re-import my Catch notes again one-by-one.  When Evernote breaks, I'll know where the issue is.

Thanks again

SavCom

• Level 5*

If you've allowed Evernote to rebuild your database after the reinstall,  it should be a shiny new uncorrupted copy.  Sounds like there may be a hinky note somewhere in the Catch files which caused your system to trip up.  Good luck with the re-import - let us know if you find a culprit..

I went back to the corrupt database, exported the notes in an ENEX archive, re-established my 'shiny new uncorrupted copy' and imported the archive.

Hey presto! no issues

(and I saved four hours of cutting and pasting Catch data.  That alone was worth the playing about!)

Thanks for the help. Looks like you have another convert.  Now to go through the other Catch users I know and migrate them to Evernote.  :)

Regards

SavCom

• 1 year later...

My desktop version has been crashing on sync despite multiple clean re-installs. There's been no response to the support ticket, other than to say this is a bug with Evernote.

I'm quite shocked that the company can let a bug like this through and do nothing about it. I have to look at alternatives now.

• Level 5*

My desktop version has been crashing on sync despite multiple clean re-installs. There's been no response to the support ticket, other than to say this is a bug with Evernote.

I'm quite shocked that the company can let a bug like this through and do nothing about it. I have to look at alternatives now.

AFAIK there's no global crash-on-sync bug,  so I assume there must be something more specific about your particular problem.  Have you gone the whole route of backups/ clean reinstall / database rebuild?

• 1 month later...

Archived