(Archived) Deleting files on Evernote doesn't free up space!?

Hello,

I love evernote, it's become a part of my life, and I keep a lot of personal stuff in it. So much stuff I've ran out of my monthly space. So I just thought, I should delete something useless from my account to free up a few more megabytes. Makes sense doesn't it? In one of my notes I had attached a 9mb video which I've deleted, and then synced my account. But I didn't get 9mb of free space back! And the video I had is gone forever (that's not the point, I have it backed up on my computer, but it would have been terrible if I didn't). 

Just to be sure it wasn't a glitch or syncing issue I tried again with a picture which I guess was around 1mb. I checked on both my computer and my phone, the pic and video are removed but I haven't gained the space those files used to take. 

It's like you run out of space on your hard drive, you delete a file, you empty the trash, but you don't get any more free space! If this happening on evernote is normal, what's the point? Seems pretty unfair to me. I get you can only use so much space at a time, but when you free that space by deleting a file and that file is unrecoverable, why still disallow that space to be used for something else?

Thank you very much in advance for your clarification. -headd

• Level 5*

Hello,

I love evernote, it's become a part of my life, and I keep a lot of personal stuff in it. So much stuff I've ran out of my monthly space. So I just thought, I should delete something useless from my account to free up a few more megabytes. Makes sense doesn't it? In one of my notes I had attached a 9mb video which I've deleted, and then synced my account. But I didn't get 9mb of free space back! And the video I had is gone forever (that's not the point, I have it backed up on my computer, but it would have been terrible if I didn't). 

Just to be sure it wasn't a glitch or syncing issue I tried again with a picture which I guess was around 1mb. I checked on both my computer and my phone, the pic and video are removed but I haven't gained the space those files used to take. 

It's like you run out of space on your hard drive, you delete a file, you empty the trash, but you don't get any more free space! If this happening on evernote is normal, what's the point? Seems pretty unfair to me. I get you can only use so much space at a time, but when you free that space by deleting a file and that file is unrecoverable, why still disallow that space to be used for something else?

Thank you very much in advance for your clarification. -headd

Hi. Welcome to the forums. As I understand it, you synced a note, and then decided to delete something from it in order to free up space in your account. The problem is that none of us have any space in our accounts! Evernote is not like Dropbox or other services that rent out space. Instead, you have a monthly upload limit. Evernote doesn't count how much you "have," but how much you "upload."

In other words, the difference between Evernote and Dropbox is that on Evernote you could upload (and leave) 500GB of notes on the Evernote servers and it would cost you the same amount of money (nothing) as it would cost someone with just 1GB of notes, but on Dropbox you would have to keep paying a high monthly fee to get that much space. One of the implications of this is that your stuff will stay in Evernote forever (they are aiming for at least 100 years, and have plans in place to deal with your account even beyond that) without you paying anything. Pretty cool, right? 

In answer to your question, beyond un-cluttering things, for most people there is little benefit to deleting notes or attachments. I am an exception, who had to take a different approach to things :)

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127

To jefito: I'm using the latest versions of the evernote apps on mac and iphone. Tried deleting something first on the iphone, then on the mac, nothing was different. I don't think it's a client problem.

To GrumpyMonkey: Yeah, I was expecting evernote's storage to would work like dropbox (which I also have), although I know it's not designed for file storage. Thanks, now I get it, even if I still think it's a bit unfair (there could at least be a way to get the files you deleted back, but you have to pay for evernote premium for that, while the free version of dropbox keeps old versions of your files for a while without using up your space). Thankfully my limit resets in 3 days, and on the .4mb I still have, plain text notes will work. Next month I'll be more careful, which won't be too hard for me.

-headd

• Level 5*

If you delete an entire note, then it winds up in the Evernote trash notebook. Attachments are handled differently, though.

You can also go premium for a month, and then cancel. You won't lose any notes when you cancel.

Archived