(Archived) Sync overwrote entry

idesignz

1. Evernote on my win8 laptop had new entries.

Synced those notes. Received notice '100% sync complete'

2. Synced notes on win7 main computer

Noticed that new entries from Win8 had not updated.

3. Synced notes on win8 laptop again.

Evernote has overwritten newer entries on win8 laptop, with earlier entries from win7 computer.

4. I then logged in to web based page, and new entries did not update there either, or they were overwritten by previous entries from win7 computer.

It's a relief that the notes were personal and thus not so important, yet it is a major concern if this occurs in the future.

Has anyone else had this occur and have advise? I've not had the problem before syncing other business notebooks.

All notebooks are set for syncronising.

• Level 5*

If you can see exactly the same database in all three clients,  I'd suggest raising a support ticket (see link below).  Not heard of this happening before.

• Level 5*

The only possible explanation I could come up with was that two computers were on at the same time,  and the one you weren't using synced before the one that you were actually editing on;  that would have given the 'old' notes a more recent time stamp than the new ones.  Better check with the guys who can get under the hood a bit though - that's just a guess.

;)

1. Evernote on my win8 laptop had new entries.

Synced those notes. Received notice '100% sync complete'

2. Synced notes on win7 main computer

Noticed that new entries from Win8 had not updated.

3. Synced notes on win8 laptop again.

Evernote has overwritten newer entries on win8 laptop, with earlier entries from win7 computer.

4. I then logged in to web based page, and new entries did not update there either, or they were overwritten by previous entries from win7 computer.

It's a relief that the notes were personal and thus not so important, yet it is a major concern if this occurs in the future.

Has anyone else had this occur and have advise? I've not had the problem before syncing other business notebooks.

All notebooks are set for syncronising.

Sounds to me like the Windows 7 computer had changes that were not sync'd to the EN servers (prior to step 1). So when you sync it in step 2, those changes are construed as "new".

It's very simple. The EN servers (IE web client) are the "source of all truths." Any changes made on one device need to be sync'd up to the EN servers before those changes are accessible from the web client or any other device/computer. If you make any changes with the web client, you are changing the EN servers directly, so no sync (up) is involved. Any changes made to the EN servers need to be sync'd down to any other computer/device before they are accessible from that device/computer.

If you create/modify a note on a desktop/laptop & then shut down w/o it getting sync'd to the EN servers, that note will not show up on the web client or be sync'd down to any other devices/computers UNTIL, you then start up the desktop/laptop & have EN running long enough to do an auto sync or you force a sync. The best way around this is to manually sync the laptop/desktop if you're going to be using another computer/device before the next auto sync or are shutting that computer down/hibernating/etc.

Archived