(Archived) Importing Onenote on a Mac

unserrer

Idea

12 replies to this idea

To import from OneNote, you will need to get on a computer that has both OneNote and Evernote for Windows installed. Within our Windows client, there's an option to Import from OneNote. This operation "talks" to OneNote using some programming interfaces from Microsoft, and asks it to convert the notes into a format that we can use.

Once you've done this on a Windows computer, you can put all of those notes into a Synchronized notebook that you can then sync to the Evernote service. Then you can sync all of those down to your Mac and use them from there.

We don't have any ability to process OneNote data files directly on a Mac computer.

• Level 5*

I would imagine this will never be available on Mac - OneNote is a Windows app, with no cloud component or Mac client. Not sure how the EN blokes could build an import function for it.

No, we don't currently have plans to try to parse and extract notes from OneNote data files on the Mac. The effort to reverse-engineer their file format would be huge, and we've assumed that anyone with a bunch of OneNote data has at least momentary access to a Windows machine to perform a one-time import.

No, we don't currently have plans to try to parse and extract notes from OneNote data files on the Mac. The effort to reverse-engineer their file format would be huge, and we've assumed that anyone with a bunch of OneNote data has at least momentary access to a Windows machine to perform a one-time import.

So my best/only option is to open up the import tool in windows? does that tool maintain the hierarchy of my notebooks/allow tagging within those notebooks?

thanks for the answers :-)

Yes, if you install Evernote on the Windows machine that has OneNote, you can perform the import. This doesn't do anything with a OneNote hierarchy, and I'm not completely sure about how tags are handled.

I've tried this on Mac running in Parallels, and on a separate PC. When I click the import button and select Onenote, Evernote does nothing. No interface, no error, nothing. It just sits there. Any clue on what to try next? Are there any settings I might be missing? Thanks.

Yes, I have Onenote 2007 installed in both Parallels and on the other PC. At first I didn't and Evernote told me so. Now, after installing I get nothing. I've been actively using Onenote in coherence mode, but I'd prefer not to have to load windows and use the subsequent resources everytime I need it. Plus part of the nice thing about these programs is that they're running in the background so are convenient to use when you need them quickly. I can't really do that with Onenote now, hence switching to EN. Thanks.

Don't bother with import. I did it with onenote 2010. my onenote categories went into notebooks and tags (all of them went into one notebook) big mess. tried to move notes around into some logical order in evernote but can't do that. My next try will be to copy and paste from onenote to evernote. I have not yet determined how to make stakes to put the categories in and them notebooks to put the pages in. The user interface in evernote is a mystery to me and there is nothing avalible on how to create all this in evernote. worst documentation I ever seen. I just about lost confidence in evernote being able to orginize my notes in any way that makes sense. Tags????? Don't see much use for them with out an explanation of what they do.

Typical software company documentation tells you all the good things the program will do but not a word on how to do it.

It soulnds like it is a good program but without knowing how it works it is useless.

Archived