(Archived) Put EVERYTHING into Evernote

I have been using Evernote for a while and have just upgraded to Premium to ensure full access to my data when offline.

Certainly Evernote is a super hub for data, media and audio and has good tools for hierarchical organization as well as a search function.

Space on my PC is close to unlimited and I can always add more for reasonable cost if needed.  BUT even with the newer and bigger capacities of the new generation of smartphones, space is a major constraint.  It is rather like my storeroom at home.  I can get a lot of stuff into it but it's not easy to access, it's not easy to clean, and I never know if I will have enough space for the next unused obelisk that needs storage.

Storage options include Evernote; OneNote, PDF, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, JPG, TIF or other format.  How can I manage an intuitive algorithm?

I have been using Evernote for a while and have just upgraded to Premium to ensure full access to my data when offline.

Certainly Evernote is a super hub for data, media and audio and has good tools for hierarchical organization as well as a search function.

Space on my PC is close to unlimited and I can always add more for reasonable cost if needed.  BUT even with the newer and bigger capacities of the new generation of smartphones, space is a major constraint.  It is rather like my storeroom at home.  I can get a lot of stuff into it but it's not easy to access, it's not easy to clean, and I never know if I will have enough space for the next unused obelisk that needs storage.

Storage options include Evernote; OneNote, PDF, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, JPG, TIF or other format.  How can I manage an intuitive algorithm?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, especially the last line about 'storage options' including Evernote/Onenote (apps) jpg, tif (file types)..  As much as I love Evernote, I don't put all my eggs in one basket.  There are many things in Evernote only, such as screen caps.  I do put a lot of things in Evernote b/c over the years, I've found the multiplatform idea (one of Evernote's niches & one reason that initially attracted me to EN) very helpful.  IE, being able to access your notes via the web version from one computer (without Evernote installed) or my iDevice while the main computer is down.   I can't & don't put "EVERYTHING" in Evernote b/c not everything will fit.  Evernote limits note size.  I have some home movies that will not fit in Evernote.  But I usually at least create an Evernote that describes what the video is about & where it's located on my hard drive.  (On my hard drive, in order keep some order, I normally put photos/videos in a folder by date in YYYYMMDD format.  This seems to work better when trying to find a video from December 2012, rather than trying to apply a unique/identifying file name to the video file.) 

But pretty much everything else in my Evernote also resides on my hard drive.  IE, emails in Outlook, photos, scans of bills, etc.  Important stuff on my hard drive gets backed up to another physical hard drive & swapped out to my safe deposit box AND they get uploaded to Amazon S3 via Jungle Disk.  I have my cloud backup (Amazon S3) for total loss as well as daily updates that are done automatically.  I have my physical hard drives in the event of a hard drive crash.  I realized after my last hard drive crash that it's not desirable to have to download a lot of data from your cloud backup.  The best way is to have a fairly current copy on another hard drive that you can more quickly copy over, then download any changes from the cloud.  The bank copy is in case someone takes my computer & all the hard drives. 

And I use Dropbox.  Not so much as backup but for transferring files between devices & easy access from my iPad or iPhone. 

I think you need to develop your own methods based upon your own needs. 

Archived