How to have multiple users on one mac?

PeninsulaLA

Idea

Hello everyone,

I have a Mac with multiple users. I would like all of them to be able to use one Evernote database. The problem, of course, is that Evernote does not currently let you move the database folder from the /Users/NameOfUser/Library location. As far as I understand, only the user that is logged in has access to this folder.

Any thoughts on how to allow all users on one mac use one Evernote database?

Thanks!!

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hello everyone,

I have a Mac with multiple users. I would like all of them to be able to use one Evernote database. The problem, of course, is that Evernote does not currently let you move the database folder from the /Users/NameOfUser/Library location. As far as I understand, only the user that is logged in has access to this folder.

Any thoughts on how to allow all users on one mac use one Evernote database?

Thanks!!

Hi. Welcome to the forums. If I understand your question correctly, the way you want to do that is not possible -- you cannot have multiple users logged onto the same database, because each account gets its own database. There are some easy ways for you to accomplish your objective (the shared access to information), though.

(1) Become an Evernote Business subscriber. Doing this will enable you to set up a Business Library that everyone can access, no matter what computer they use.

(2) Become a Premium user and share your notebooks with the other users.

For both of these scenarios, in order to maintain a bit of privacy, I would recommend creating separate user accounts on your Mac. It is easy to do. If you give us more details, perhaps we can offer more suggestions.

@grumpymonkey

Thanks for the quick reply! Let me try to add some clarification:

I have a Premium account. I have several individuals who all use the same Mac computer that use the same Evernote Premium Account. All the notes in the Premium account are for the group to share, hence only one Evernote account.

Each individual has their own user login into the Mac, however. I would like to avoid having multiple Evernote databases on the same mac computer. It takes up a lot of space and each user needs to sync every time they login to the Mac.

I'm trying a Symbolic link to the primary user's "Evernote" folder in the Library folder.  I'll post how it goes.

• Level 5*

@grumpymonkey

I have a Premium account. I have several individuals who all use the same Mac computer that use the same Evernote Premium Account. All the notes in the Premium account are for the group to share, hence only one Evernote account.

Each individual has their own user login into the Mac, however. I would like to avoid having multiple Evernote databases on the same mac computer. It takes up a lot of space and each user needs to sync every time they login to the Mac.

I'm trying a Symbolic link to the primary user's "Evernote" folder in the Library folder.  I'll post how it goes.

Hi. If it were me in your situation (wanting to decrease the amount of stuff kept on the drive), I would take the Premium account, share the notebooks with everyone (giving them the ability to modify things), and have them use Evernote on the Web for their accounts. You would have only one database on the drive, no syncing, and you could avoid privacy issues. 

@grumpymonkey

Did it work?

Archived