(Archived) Un-mix notes

Hello. I made a mistake and mixed all the notes from a notebook into one. Fortunately, I wasn't online, so my files on Evernote servers are still intact. Now I am afraid the sync makes those notes stay mixed for good.

I want to have them how they were before, i. e., how they currently are on the servers, not in my computer. What should I do?

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the forums:  sorry to hear about your problem. 

Before you do anything else,  quit out of Evernote completely - including the icon in your system tray (windows) and copy your .exb file somewhere safe (just in case).

Now.  When you say you mixed all the notes into one,  do you mean you merged all the notes?  If so,  check in the trash - you should find all the individual notes are there.  Drag them back out into the main notebook.  Delete the mega-note.  Relax.

Hope that works..

Hi, gazumped. Thank you a lot for the help. I am sorry for bothering for such a minor problem, but I couldn't relax (as you suggest to do now) since yesterday. I read in some help article that merging couldn't be undone, that is why I didn't think about looking for the lost notes in the trash.

Hello. I made a mistake and mixed all the notes from a notebook into one. Fortunately, I wasn't online, so my files on Evernote servers are still intact. Now I am afraid the sync makes those notes stay mixed for good.

I want to have them how they were before, i. e., how they currently are on the servers, not in my computer. What should I do?

1. What client are you using?

2. Did/do you have any local (non-sync'd) notebooks?

3. Do you have any good notes that were not sync'd?

If you merged the notes & don't have a lot of them (which you probably didn't b/c otherwise you'd exceed your note size limit), then follow Gaz's advice above.  OTOH, if you mean you moved all the notes from one notebook to another notebook then here's what you do if you're using the Windows client.

Be sure to take your internet connection down.  Easiest way is to just completely unplug your modem.  If it has a battery backup, remove the battery.  This is because you don't want EN to sync.  Invoke Evernote & find the location of your exb file by going into tools/options/general tab.  If you have any local/non-sync'd notebooks, select each local/non-sync'd notebook, select all the notes in that notebook & export them in enex format.  Do this for each notebook, since IIRC, importing them does not retain the notebook information.  Do this also for any good, non-sync'd notes you may have (see question #3 above.)

Fully exit EN, including any elephant icons you see in the system tray.

Rename your exb file.  Be sure to RENAME it, not DELETE it.  It will be your-login-name.exb, so rename it to something like your-login-name-backup.exb  If you can't find it using Windows explorer, make sure you have 'show hidden files' selected in Explorer.

Reconnect your internet connection.  Invoke Evernote.  You will need to provide login credentials.  A new exb file will be created & will be empty.  Don't worry, that's ok.  Just sync & all the notes on the EN servers will be loaded down into your new exb file.  Once this is complete, if you exported any local/non-sync'd notes to enex files, you can now import those.

Archived