(Archived) Basic search questions

1.) after doing a search in a web browser, I click the little "X" next to the search button hoping to erase the text in the search field and stop filtering my results, though it will not remove the text in the field. How do you do this and go back to not filtering search results?

2.) I did a search for "the" and it brought up lots of notes. The word "the" is highlighted in yellow in some of the notes, though in other notes that show up listed under All Notes, the word "the" does not appear. Why is it even displaying these notes if my  search criteria is not contained in them?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

1.) after doing a search in a web browser, I click the little "X" next to the search button hoping to erase the text in the search field and stop filtering my results, though it will not remove the text in the field. How do you do this and go back to not filtering search results?

2.) I did a search for "the" and it brought up lots of notes. The word "the" is highlighted in yellow in some of the notes, though in other notes that show up listed under All Notes, the word "the" does not appear. Why is it even displaying these notes if my  search criteria is not contained in them?

Thanks.

1. Hitting 'x' in the search field should blank that field so that you can type another.  If you then hit 'search' again,  it will find all notes and cancel the filter.
  2. If you search for 'the',  you're looking for any word starting with the letters,  so theory,  then,  theme etc will also turn up.  That pretty much finds all your notes anyway.  If you also have some OCR'd pictures you'll get some of the backup choices for other words.  A poor quality picture containing 'shame' might have 'the' as a possible word.  3-character word searches aren't very precise.
  • Level 5*

On searching: if you have a PDF that's been OCR'd, then you can get a hit on the OCR content even though Evernote can't display the matched term. 

In theory, though, for normal text search, you should see the 'the' bit highlighted, even on an OCR'd image. If you can isolate it to a particular note and search combination, it might be useful to open a support request so that they can submit a bug report.

Archived