(Archived) When exporting, first paragraph is not enclosed with html/xml tags

macunni

Idea

When I export a note as HTML or XML the first paragraph of the note is not enclosed in tags. There are a few that are ok, but the vast majority have this issue. An example HTML output is:

"....<title>Note from Phoenix in Scottsdale</title></head><body style="edited for space">

Last night we ate at Downside Risk. A nicer than most hamburger sort of place.

<div><br/></div>
<div>Tonight we ate at the Mastro's City Hall restaurant. </div>
</body></html>..."

Notice how the first line is not wrapped in DIV tags. The same happens when exporting in XML. It does not seem to matter if the client app is used to enter the note or if a mobile device is used.

Any ideas on how to correct this behavior? I could not find any topics about this in the forums.

What I'm using:
Evernote client for Mac, Version 5.0.5 (400805)
Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion OS
iPad and iPhone with Evernote version 5.1.2

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

When I export a note as HTML or XML the first paragraph of the note is not enclosed in tags. There are a few that are ok, but the vast majority have this issue. An example HTML output is:

"....<title>Note from Phoenix in Scottsdale</title></head><body style="edited for space">

Last night we ate at Downside Risk. A nicer than most hamburger sort of place.

<div><br/></div>
<div>Tonight we ate at the Mastro's City Hall restaurant. </div>
</body></html>..."

Notice how the first line is not wrapped in DIV tags. The same happens when exporting in XML. It does not seem to matter if the client app is used to enter the note or if a mobile device is used.

Any ideas on how to correct this behavior? I could not find any topics about this in the forums.

What I'm using:
Evernote client for Mac, Version 5.0.5 (400805)
Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion OS
iPad and iPhone with Evernote version 5.1.2

Good observation. I never noticed this before, but I have the same issue. I have no knowledge about why this might be happening, but I wonder if it might have something to do with how Windows takes the first line of a note and uses it as a title. No? Well, that is my best guess I am afraid. 

• Level 5*

I checked a few notes in the Windows client. I only saw one note that had this effect. It was a note created with with an unstyled first line (so no font markup needed, as that's inherited from theEverntoe editing environment. Any subsequent unstyled line also had no font markup, though it had a <div> tag. If the first line is styled, it gets the font markup, but no <div> tag.

So, interesting, I guess, but is it a bug? There's certainly nothing in the ENML document (http://dev.evernote.com/start/core/enml.php) that dictates that <divs>s are required to be used, though there is a recommendation that each paragraph should be so wrapped for plaintext notes (it's the last section in the document). So why would this be a bug (or a behavior that needs to be corrected)?

• Level 5*

Technically speaking, I don't think there is anything in the XHTML protocols that say we have to have everything enclosed, so it is not a bug, but I thought it was kind of standard practice in web design. It isn't a big deal to me, but it seems worth asking why. 

• Level 5*

Well, everything is going to be enclosed in *some* kind of tag, be it an HTML tag or an Evernote-specific tag. But <div>s are optional, as indeed, is any markup except <en-note>. But yeah, the question is worth asking, if for no other reason than to satisfy curiosity. I did take the macunni's question "Any ideas on how to correct this behavior?" as an implication that they think that this is a bug. I think that it's inconsistent (unless there's some underlying reason for it), but mostly harmless.

Archived