Jump to content
Due to limited holiday staffing, chat will be unavailable from Thursday, July 2 at 5:30 PM (CDT) to Monday, July 13 at 8 AM (CDT). This will allow us to reply to your email requests as quickly as possible. Thank you for understanding. ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

girard

windows (Archived) Bug - renamed tags only come up in search for old name

Recommended Posts

I'm using the Windows version of Evernote, and just discovered a pretty major bug. It sounds like something similar is prevalent in the mobile versions, but reading their descriptions, I felt this was distinct enough to warrant its own post.

So, I had several notes tagged with a tag, which I realized had a typo in it, let's say "Reveiws." So I right-clicked on the tag in the left bar and renamed it the correct spelling, "Reviews."

However, in the search bar, if I type "Reviews," those notes don't appear. BUT if I type the old tag name, "Reveiws," then all of those notes come up, though the tag listed on them is the new, properly-spelled tag.

Apparently somewhere else in the system the old name was not changed when I renamed the tag.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm guessing that if you tried an actual tag search (i.e., "tag:Reveiws"), you would get no matches. That being said, that shouldn't matter, as a normal text search (i.e., "Reveiws") should match against tags as well as note content (and note title). Sounds like a bug to me.

Share this post


Link to post

I have reported this bug more than a year ago. See this post.

As you can see in that thread Dlu of the Evernote team promissed there to file it off to be worked on.

In addition I filed a ticket myself - # 16051-68503 - "[bug] Original tags can be used as keywords in standard search, but not after editing."

I have tested that from time to time but the bug was still there. Nobody else reported similar behaviour so I was thinking that this could be a problem of my system, and therefore I gave up.

Apparently I am not the only one anymore :) . I may send the previous ticket again, just in case..

Share this post


Link to post

Just filed a ticket regarding this issue - number #16051-223922. Good luck!.

Share this post


Link to post

Jefito your guess is correct. Thanks!

In brief, when using the actual tag search - tag: - retrieval behaves normally.

- Let say I have a note, note-1, tagged with "Sunday".

- If I press F6 (global search) and write "Sunday" note-1 is retrieved as expected.

- Now I use "rename" in the tag's dropdown menu, to change it into "Monday".

- If I press F6 again and write "Monday", note-1 is NOT retrieved (although it is tagged with "Monday").

- However, If I press F6 and write "Sunday", note-1 is nevertheless retrieved (although it is tagged with "Monday").

- Interestingly, if I press F6 again and use the search term "tag:" , it works OK, that is note-1 is retrieved with "tag:Monday" but not with "tag:Sunday".

I hope that for EN programmers this information should be sufficient to resolve this bug. TIA.

Share this post


Link to post

I have the same issues and it's a major annoyance to me.

Searching for the renamed tag with tag:"renamedtag" works, but a normal search retrieves nothing and the old tagname has to be used to retrieve desired results...

It's been half a year now, when can we expect a fix??

Share this post


Link to post

I have the same issues and it's a major annoyance to me.

Searching for the renamed tag with tag:"renamedtag" works, but a normal search retrieves nothing and the old tagname has to be used to retrieve desired results...

It's been half a year now, when can we expect a fix??

If you do a sync after renaming, does this fix the problem?

Share this post


Link to post

 

I have the same issues and it's a major annoyance to me.

Searching for the renamed tag with tag:"renamedtag" works, but a normal search retrieves nothing and the old tagname has to be used to retrieve desired results...

It's been half a year now, when can we expect a fix??

If you do a sync after renaming, does this fix the problem?

 

Nope, of course this is the first thing one would try if such a thing occurs I guess.

The only way to rename as of now seems to be to create a new tag and assign it to all the notes tagged with the old one, then untag and delete the old tag.

If you already used the rename function, then you have to create a temporary tag, assign it to all the desired notes, then untag and delete the renamed tag, create the renamed tag anew and asssign it to all the temporarily tagged notes, then untag and delete the temporary tag.

Share this post


Link to post

If you do a sync after renaming, does this fix the problem?

Nope, of course this is the first thing one would try if such a thing occurs I guess.
You still have to ask these things, because you never know unless you ask.

The only way to rename as of now seems to be to create a new tag and assign it to all the notes tagged with the old one, then untag and delete the old tag.

If you already used the rename function, then you have to create a temporary tag, assign it to all the desired notes, then untag and delete the renamed tag, create the renamed tag anew and asssign it to all the temporarily tagged notes, then untag and delete the temporary tag.

Seems like a bug to me -- an ugly one at that.

Curious, though -- I just tried this on the latest Windows client V5 beta 3, and it seems to work correctly.

Share this post


Link to post

 

Curious, though -- I just tried this on the latest Windows client V5 beta 3, and it seems to work correctly.

 

At last.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...