(Archived) Thoughts on Newest Evernote Version 5.0.4 (400704) update?

helloworld

Idea

Is it just me or are others finding the most recent update to Evernote Version 5.0.4 (400704) that drastically changed the UI difficult to use? To me it really sucks! How about for you?

I really liked the previous way with the notes and stacks organized neatly like a directory on the left hand side. I'm not using Evernote as much because it's harder to get to the notebook, move notes around by dragging and dropping, and finding stuff now.

Even the search acts different. Before I would hilight a specific folder and search and would run the search within that folder only. Now it searches through the whole database unless you mess with some settings,,, but who wants to do that everytime you search?

Such a bummer, I used to feel empowered by Evernote, now I feel a Schizophrenic.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Is it just me or are others finding the most recent update to Evernote Version 5.0.4 (400704) that drastically changed the UI difficult to use? To me it really sucks! How about for you?

I really liked the previous way with the notes and stacks organized neatly like a directory on the left hand side. I'm not using Evernote as much because it's harder to get to the notebook, move notes around by dragging and dropping, and finding stuff now.

Even the search acts different. Before I would hilight a specific folder and search and would run the search within that folder only. Now it searches through the whole database unless you mess with some settings,,, but who wants to do that everytime you search?

Such a bummer, I used to feel empowered by Evernote, now I feel a Schizophrenic.

Hi. Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the app.

Thanks for providing your specific criticisms of the app and how it isn't working well for your use case. I do not use many notebooks myself (basically, just one), and I do not have the Sidebar open most of the time, so it hasn't been as much of an issue for me, but I do agree that I prefer the previous visual representation to what we have now. Fortunately, the app is a work in progress, the developers are keen to hear comments on it, and they may find a way to address your concerns in the future.

The search behavior has changed, and it does take some getting used to. Personally, I have other criticisms, and in your case I think there is a relatively easy solution. If you use the saved searches, make one for each of your main notebooks (for example, notebook:inbox), and stick the saved searches into the Shortcuts, then you can adjust the behavior to give you the control you want without having to enter the information each time.

helloworld - you are not alone. There are many, many long posts here from users who are very unhappy. Including many users who have registered just to post their unhappiness. Of course, you can add me to this list!

As users, we have not quite worked out why EN have decimated the program we love so much. They have removed so many powerful features or dumbed them down, and many, many bugs were introduced. We hope it's just a straight-forward c**k-up, and that they will be back-peddling shortly. The same mess was made of Skitch, and then the powers that be suddenly caved-in one day, fessed-up, and re-instated all the beloved features and interface elements.

Don't worry about GrumpyMonkey, he knows in his heart the terrible damage that has been done, but he's too kind to say :-)

• Level 5*
Don't worry about GrumpyMonkey, he knows in his heart the terrible damage that has been done, but he's too kind to say :-)

LOL. GrumpyMonkey has registered his criticisms of several changes. He just was not invested so much in the old Sidebar to begin with, so he is less affected by this particular issue.

Now, if you want to start talking about the lack of a vertical List View (we never have had it on the Mac, but I want it https://www.evernote...95698bf3329fdbd), the lack of information density, the inability to edit saved searches, the lack of sort options (we have never had many on the Mac), the inaccessibility of sort options, or the inability to filter out joined notebooks in our searches, then you will get an earful :)

Is it decimated? No. However, I see some room for improvement!

• Level 5

helloworld, have a look at this for a quick overview of v5: http://evernote.com/evernote/whats_new/mac/

To address a few of your concerns:

- Left side Notebooks and Tags: You can expand your Notebooks/Tags by right-clicking them and selecting Expand

- Search: If you're viewing a Notebook, you'll see an option to search within that Notebook right here: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/b9c4dfc1-926b-42f7-aaa8-e2366f03341c/114bd6a298ae003783187fff02e8eb09 It also "remembers" whether you like to search everything or remain within a Notebook.

Hope this helps!

Archived