(Archived) Password storage for Sync how stored?

First of all I'll start with complaining about the missing password protection feature for notes or text in Version 3.0. Why you took it out? Many people are requesting it. If you have done it just because you added online sync, then you could simply set the encrypted notes to have to be LOCAL. Makes sense anyway. Is this not enough reason to put it back? Please..

Secondly, how is the password for online sync stored. I don't usually save login password with things like IM messengers, but I'd probably do it with Evernote. How is the password stored? Is is stored in clear text on hard disk or registry?

Thanks.

- Polo -

Evernote has never implemented encryption for your local note database ... the password for Evernote 2.2 was cosmetic only. We recommend using file system encryption (built in to Windows, or a third party solution like TrueCrypt) if you are concerned about other people getting access to your computer.

If you choose to remember your password in the new Evernote client, it will be stored in the database file in a way that is moderately obscured within the code. I.e. someone who just looks at the database would not see your password, but if they spent time with the code and your database together, they could eventually derive it.

• 4 months later...

So if I want to automatically have my evernote mobile be able to log back in after a hard reset I will have to automatically restore the db along with the appropriate reg files? This is assuming that the db is placed in the default location. I suppose the question to ask is if evernote mobile see's the FirstRun value as being 1 or 0 when will it create a new database? Does it check to see if the there is a current db or does it just write one depending upon some entry?

This should be sufficient right?

Thanks.

If there is a database for "dave" in the databases directory and you enter the login information for "dave", it will use that instead of recreating the DB from scratch. This means you shouldn't need to mess around with registry entries, just make sure the DB file goes back in the right directory after a restore.

Archived