(Archived) Image sizing related to emailing a note

When I send a note that contains an image as an email, the image comes out perfectly sized when viewed on an iPad.

The same email message when opened on a computer is very difficult to view. The image is far too large.

Any advice on how to make the image in the email appear more appropriately sized on a computer?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

When you email an image, your mail software is usually smart enough to downsample the image so it sends easily through the "SMTP" system that is email. SMTP is "simple mail transfer protocol" and has existed in its current form more or less since email started just after someone knocked all the corners off a square and stuck it on a cart. It can't handle big stuff very well, so when it can, mail software tends to simplify things going in to make life easier. iOS seems not to offer many chances to resize pictures, but the trick for best display sizes is to dial down the resolution. There's been lots of chatter about that in the forums. If you're happy with the email size pictures, you could always send your pics to Evernote through your account email address... (Not tried it, and it's a million to one against, but it might just work...)

Hey, thanks for the info.

Basically I want to share notes with colleagues that contain pictures. Doing so through Evernote is amazingly easy. If the emails are too cumbersome due to the image size, though, the value becomes lost.

Just want to make sure I'm following you, are you suggesting that the person opening the email adjust his/her screen resolution?

Thanks again.

• Level 5*

You said in your original post "When I send a note that contains an image as an email, the image comes out perfectly sized" so I'm assuming no editing will be required at either end. Rather than expect your email recipient to adjust the size however, I'd say it's probably down to you to adjust the size of a picture before you send it to ensure that it looks the right size on any computer. Any image editor should be able to help you do this if it's necessary.

Thanks for the response. My exact quote was that the image comes out perfectly sized when the email is viewed "on an iPad." Viewing the email on a computer shows a very large image.

Adjusting the size of the photo before sending the email severely impacts the usefulness of what I'm trying to do. I was just wondering if there were any other options or suggestions I could give to people opening the email messages on a computer to avoid such overly large images.

• Level 5*

Covering all the options for sizing pictures on different hardware and via different apps and software in non-technical terms would require a small library (or an Evernote shared Notebook). If your email recipients could handle the technical version, they'd already know what to do! To avoid confusion and VERY LARGE images the best option is to trim the size before sending. Appreciated that this is not a convenient fix, but the level of messing around depends what software you use as a picture library. I use Picassa forinstance, which allows me to 'export' a picture in a variety of sizes, and will automatically slim an image file down and send it by email for me. Yuo might have a look to see what options are available for your own OS.

• 8 months later...

Same exact issue.  Thank you for creating discussion JG Johns

Kurt, the issue seems to have since been resolved. 

Open the menu that appears when you click on your username in the top left corner. Then go to "Note editor" and then "Image Size". I changed mine to "Medium" and no longer have the problem. 

JG Johns said:  "Open the menu that appears when you click on your username in the top left corner. Then go to "Note editor" and then "Image Size". I changed mine to "Medium" and no longer have the problem."

QUESTION:  Request clarification:  From where did you do this? Your iPad or within Evernote?

Thx. in advance.

QUESTION:  Request clarification:  From where did you do this? Your iPad or within Evernote?

Thx. in advance.

I made this adjustment within the Evernote app.  I've done so on both my iPad and iPhone, and I no longer have the problem of sending emails with over-sized photos.

Archived