(Archived) Indexing Self OCRed pdf files

I was just wanting to clarify something. I know that if a pdf is is so big it will not be run though Evernotes OCR system. I have a 500+ page manual and I've run and saved the file though my own OCR (Fine Reader fror Mac), so there is a 'layer' of text in there. Will Evernote add that to the index or will it simply say "500 pages, no index for you."

I assume a 500 page native text document would be indexed. Would a 500 page pdf that has a text layer be as well? Thanks in advance for any info.

• Level 5*

I was just wanting to clarify something. I know that if a pdf is is so big it will not be run though Evernotes OCR system. I have a 500+ page manual and I've run and saved the file though my own OCR (Fine Reader fror Mac), so there is a 'layer' of text in there. Will Evernote add that to the index or will it simply say "500 pages, no index for you."

I assume a 500 page native text document would be indexed. Would a 500 page pdf that has a text layer be as well? Thanks in advance for any info.

Hi. Welcome to the forums! Evernote will not OCR the PDF, but will include the OCR data you have supplied in its search index. My recommendation would be to consider stripping the text out of the PDF and pasting it into the note. Put the PDF in Dropbox for viewing only when necessary. Your database will be smaller, your search hits will be highlighted in the note, and the content will be included in searches for every client (iOS does not search inside PDFs when you are offline).

Actually, there is an additional thing that will make this PERFECT! Is there a way to link the file in Evernote so that it can attach to a file in the dropbox? Or actually, the finder hierarcy anywhere. Kind of like when you link notes within Evernote. It would be cool to be able to use Evernote to locate what is needed, the just tap a blue link at the top to launch the seperately indexed (but will all the graphs and charts intact) .pdf in Acrobat. (it exceeds the 50 limit or I would just put the thing in Evernote.

Archived