(Archived) Request: [yet another] date field request

Adding my insignificant voice to the caphony of those looking for the addition of another date field. I don't care if it's called "content date", "due date" or "some other date date" -- I just want to be able to search for it and sort on it! Right now I'm modifying the create date to sort my tickler file of articles, papers, emails, notes to deal with later . . . . which of course leaves me with no content created date.

It would also be nice if sorting capabilities were a little more robust -- notably some limited ability for tiered sorting. (i.e., sort on date ascending then sort on title ascending). The more notes you have the more importing sorting capabilities are becasue searches return many more hits!

• Level 5

Agreed another date field is long overdue.

But if Evernote can't or won't add the promised Due Date field, I think a new UI with tiered sorting is a long, long way down the road.

The only workaround I have been able to come up with is to use the cryptic, difficult to remember Evernote date search commands to narrow the possible solutions, add additional search criteria and then sort by one of the remaining fields.

Examples of Created (since)

today = created:day

yesterday = created:day-1

this week = created:week (since Sunday)

last week = created:week-1 (Since last Sunday)

this month = created:month

last month = created:month-1

this year = created:year

last year = created:year-1

Clunky? Yes

Tedious? Yes

• Level 5*

Adding my insignificant voice to the caphony of those looking for the addition of another date field. I don't care if it's called "content date", "due date" or "some other date date" -- I just want to be able to search for it and sort on it! Right now I'm modifying the create date to sort my tickler file of articles, papers, emails, notes to deal with later . . . . which of course leaves me with no content created date.

It would also be nice if sorting capabilities were a little more robust -- notably some limited ability for tiered sorting. (i.e., sort on date ascending then sort on title ascending). The more notes you have the more importing sorting capabilities are becasue searches return many more hits!

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I am not terribly concerned myself about the "something-or-other date" field. I know a lot of people want it, but I couldn't change it anyhow on the iPad, and even though I could on the Mac, it is hidden, and more clicks away than I will bother doing, so my current method of using YYMMDD + keywords in the title (121006 journal saturday) works fine.

However, the sort request you made caught my eye. People don't talk about the sort much, but it makes a huge difference in usage. I really enjoy going through my account with the Windows client, which has the most sort capabilities. The ability to do more than one sort at once would be very, very nice, especially if it were put as part of a saved search. Good idea!

• 1 month later...

Date field seems like a good idea.

I'm looking for the best way to start using evernote as my only to do items. YYMMDD + keywords seems like an interesting idea. Have you already posted elsewhere how you came to that and how you use it, like in searches?

I think a lot of my to do items will be emailed into evernote, so putting due date in title or else tags would work for me. Still thinking it over.

• Level 5*

Date field seems like a good idea.

I'm looking for the best way to start using evernote as my only to do items. YYMMDD + keywords seems like an interesting idea. Have you already posted elsewhere how you came to that and how you use it, like in searches?

I think a lot of my to do items will be emailed into evernote, so putting due date in title or else tags would work for me. Still thinking it over.

Hi. I've written a little bit about it (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html). I've also mentioned the system in these forums.

I started modifying the Created date to use as a due date after reading this descripton of The Secret Weapon system of using EV for GTD. (http://www.thesecretweapon.org/) In reality this system is too complicated for me (or I'm to lazy to implement it!); however, it gave me some good ideas for tagging and using the Created date. I keep a handful of saved searches that pull up recurring and scheduled tasks into a single list and sort based on the Created date.

I'm an Outlook user and I also like to use the Outlook plug-in. For example, if you send me an email update on a project and I want a reminder to contact you about this again in two weeks I just use the Outlook plug-in to send your entire response email to EV. I use the Inbox to collect everything so later in the day I'll review the inbox and tag that note with tags for the contract, project, GTD context, and status. The 'status' tag determines whether it shows up in my "DO IT NOW" saved search, my scheduled tasks search, or is simply saved for archive. I'll also change the "Created" date to the date I want to be reminded of this task and then I'll move it in my work notebook.

This also works well for recurring tasks. For example, when I change the oil in my truck I just edit my Truck Oil Change note to record the mileage of the last oil change, then change the Created date to when I want to be reminded to check the mileage.

YMMV, but the longer I do this the fewer notebooks I use. I used to move things from notebook to notebook to manage tasks but more & more I depend on tags to organize and find my notes.

Archived