(Archived) Clipping sites with videos and presentations

Hello -

I love the clipping functionality, I frequently use it as a read later or during research. However, whenever I run against a site that has flash based presentations or video content the clipping misses the point and doesn't even give me a link back to refer back to the content.

Just as an example, I am learning about Evernote and want to remind myself to watch a video on Evernote this weekend. So I clip http://evernote.com/video/. What gets clipped however, is pretty much everything *but* the content I want. I use a lot of sites such as TED, InfoQ (e.g. http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Managing-Agile), ForaTV, YouTube and would love to be able to clip them. With a lot of focus on education being shifted to the Web it would be great to use Evernote as the notebook for this content as well.

I realize this is a hard problem but it would be great to see support for sites sbe. Currently I have another software called WatchLaterApp that lets me do that but it would be great to be able to have it in Evernote. And this doesn't have to be only good for customers. Once there is rich media, this can be very good for Evernote. As a paying premium customer I have real trouble filling up my 1 gigabyte allowance. If it would let me catalog a lot more than just images and documents, I'd certainly consider paying for the ability to clip content.

Cheers,

Alex

• Level 5*

Hi - it's a nice idea, but I don't think you will be using up your upload allowance on media content. Some websites are a little.. possessive .. about their ownership of this sort of item and the idea of millions of copies disappearing onto Evernote's servers would not necessarily be something they'd welcome. The best you can do is save a link to the media, which is many sites is part of the html code hence not being copied by Evernote. In some cases you can watch videos on their parent page (YouTube forinstance) and that page obviously has its own link, which you can - once you've saved the original page - add to your note so the video is still available. Providing that discovery process as a part of Evernote however, and on multiple platforms does not seem like a trivial exercise. I'm sure they'll add as many extra features as they can to the clipping process, but this seems like one of the longer-term prospects.

• Level 5*

It would be most useful if Evernote clipper would capture the HTML code that links to the video, and then display in the EN Note like it is displayed on the web page. So Evernote would capture the link, but NOT the actual video file.

Archived