(Archived) Syncing Tutorial

I was wondering if there was a step by step guide on how to sync between devices. And I mean a very specific and literal guide just so I don't miss anything. I need to get notes from my phone (Android) onto my laptop (PC) because they never have the same information as the other.

Specifically, I have notes that work as Master Lists and therefore these notes get edited on a regular basis, sometimes several times a day. But I'm clearly not syncing them correctly because when I edit a list on my phone, it doesn't update the list on my laptop and vice versa. I need them to coincide with each other and quickly. I often have to dig through the "conflicting changes" note so I don't lose any important information, which I have lost before.

Evernote is a great tool and I would love to use it properly, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Welcome to the forums!

The easiest way to ensure that all of your information syncs...

Whenever you start AND finish using Evernote for Windows, click the sync button at the top.

Whenever you start AND finish using Evernote for Android, click the sync button on the bottom left.

Both the Windows and Android clients have default sync times that can be changed in the settings. Here's how:

Windows: Tools (top) -> Options -> Sync (tab at the top) -> Change the dropdown under "Synchronize automatically"

Android: Press back (to view the gray sidebar) -> Touch your username (top) -> Settings -> Sync Notes -> Change Any of these settings as you see fit.

Hope this helps!

It's really not that hard. I'm guessing Blake customized his reply to your OP. But to get down & dirty basic...

Whenever moving to a new computer/device, sync before and sync after. Simple as that. When you go to a new/different device, syncing down insures you have the latest version of the notes. Make your changes. Sync them back up to the EN servers when you are leaving that computer/device.

Oh shoot that's what I've been doing! But it doesn't always seem to work. Is there another possible reason that would keep the notes from updating on the opposite device?

A crucial step is syncing DOWN when you move to a different computer/device before making changes. I have two computers at my desk & both are running EN. I often make changes on one computer & then want to modify that note on the second computer. It's crucial to make sure I sync the changes UP to the EN servers from the first computer AND...AND...AND...sync those changes DOWN to the second computer before I try to modify those notes on the second computer. Then, of course, it's crucial to sync the changes made on the second computer back UP to the EN servers so they are deployed on the first computer. You really just have to acknowledge that the EN servers are the source of all truths.

Oh shoot that's what I've been doing! But it doesn't always seem to work. Is there another possible reason that would keep the notes from updating on the opposite device?

A crucial step is syncing DOWN when you move to a different computer/device before making changes. I have two computers at my desk & both are running EN. I often make changes on one computer & then want to modify that note on the second computer. It's crucial to make sure I sync the changes UP to the EN servers from the first computer AND...AND...AND...sync those changes DOWN to the second computer before I try to modify those notes on the second computer. Then, of course, it's crucial to sync the changes made on the second computer back UP to the EN servers so they are deployed on the first computer. You really just have to acknowledge that the EN servers are the source of all truths.

Yes, I get it! It works every time now, thank you so much!

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to sync between a MacBook Pro, an iPhone 5, and a mac desk top, and it's syncing new notes

but not syncing when I change items on a "to do" list.  Do these same techniques work for Macs? Also, can anyone tell me what the "sync button" looks like on the iPhone app?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived