Audio note text synchronization

JayInPA

I like the ability to record audio and type in the same note. Is there any plan to synchronize them the same way that Notability for the iPad or the Livescribe pens work? I'd love to be able to click where I was typing and have the audio play back from that point.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

I like the ability to record audio and type in the same note. Is there any plan to synchronize them the same way that Notability for the iPad or the Livescribe pens work? I'd love to be able to click where I was typing and have the audio play back from that point.

Thanks!

Hi. Sounds like a great idea to me. Evernote doesn't usually reveal its future plans, though. Under the current system, one thing that you can do is put in time stamps with a keyboard shortcut. This gives you a record of where you are and helps navigate around the audio file. It isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it is a nice workaround that I have used with great success.

Doubtful. One of the draws of EN is that it is multplatform. They have stated in the past that they prefer to only implement features that will work across all platforms. I would imagine this feature would be a nightmare to implement on all the platforms. Therefore, probably low on the priority list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This feature would be incredibly useful. Even the solution suggested by "mitchellisdumb" would be very handy. A button which inserts a 'smart-timestamp' of the recording, a kind of 'jump to here' button for the associated text.

The use case is when recording minutes of a meeting, notes from a phone call, video recording, etc.

The tricky bit in this sort of feature handling non-linear note-taking, when the user jumps up above and adds more detail to an existing part of the note. The method of dropping in a smart-timestamp with the tap of a button would serve this well, but other solutions could work too.

Personally, my ideal would be a button, but with an option so that every time I hit the enter/return key, a smart-timestamp is inserted.

If you then had the ability to adjust the starting point of that smart-timestamp, then the user could very easily (and with simple interface) have the ability to 'save' custom audio/video start-points that are associated with the text.

Please consider this feature, it would be a life-saver for anybody who records conversations and takes minutes.

• 3 months later...

This would be great to have such feature. Actually, OneNote from Microsoft has this feature and this is working very fine. You just have to record and type your notes at the same time. During the recording, what you type is timestamp and you can access the audio at the point where the notes are stamped. But the very nice thing about this feature is that the audio is processed in the background afterwards, with speech to text, to be able to match perfectly your notes with the audio. Once the process is done, you click on a topic and you directly access the audio at this specific topic... 

I'm considering switching from evernote to OneNote just for this... I'm considering keeping evernote because the application is much more simple and efficient to use...

Please evernote team, add this feature, even if the sync is only available after audio processing in the cloud. I'm even ready to pay some extra €/year for this feature!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will add my voice to the people who want this.

This is available in Onenote and the Evernote nay-sayers in my office use this against me.  

Evernote should work out something with Notability if this is not on the to do list.

• 4 months later...

I just heard about onenote having this feature. Was looking for it for a son who has some learning difficulties and this would certainly help him at University in his lectures. Hopefully evernote is looking into adding this. If it's only available in the premium version, it would be worthwhile upgrading just for this.

Thanks

• 8 months later...

I'm here today wishing for this exact same feature!

I was a Livescribe user as well (at least until the display on my LS pen died and I discovered it was a common flaw!)

In consideration of the cross platform issues, it would be nice if a "time link" could be generated as outlined above to provide some mechanism to accurately jump within the recorded audio.

This is a HUGE use-case for an application like EverNote (what person who record audio as a note doesn't want to be able to time mark portions within their recordings?)

I'm glad to hear OneNote does this;  I just bought myself a Surface Pro 3 and of course my main goal was to use EverNote with the stylus as I previously did on my Galaxy Note 3.

I have yet to record meeting audio, but this would be something to have me recording almost every time!

PLEASE consider this, I would imagine your user base would go up just for this capability alone!

-Will

• 3 weeks later...

Archived