(Archived) Creating notes when offline

yamma

What I like about EN, is the fact that I can make notes on my phone and sync this later on my PC. So far so good. But: I don't always have an internet connection on my phone and sometimes want to create notes, to check out again when I'm online. Is this even possible?! (it is on some other platforms)

If I open EN, I only get the message that there's no network connection. Too bad really :( I'd like to have the option to collect notes that will be synced as soon as I'm back online again (like Tweetdeck does for example for tweets/status updates that you enter when you're offline. As soon as you get back online, Tweetdecks detect this and they are sent automatically).

Is there perhaps a thirdy party that has this container function? I don't need to see my notebooks offline, I just want to create some notes when I'm offline.

Any ideas? Thanks!

• Level 5*

What I like about EN, is the fact that I can make notes on my phone and sync this later on my PC. So far so good. But: I don't always have an internet connection on my phone and sometimes want to create notes, to check out again when I'm online. Is this even possible?! (it is on some other platforms)

If I open EN, I only get the message that there's no network connection. Too bad really :( I'd like to have the option to collect notes that will be synced as soon as I'm back online again (like Tweetdeck does for example for tweets/status updates that you enter when you're offline. As soon as you get back online, Tweetdecks detect this and they are sent automatically).

Is there perhaps a thirdy party that has this container function? I don't need to see my notebooks offline, I just want to create some notes when I'm offline.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hello. Welcome to the discussion forums. I am not sure that I understand your question. I don't get the message about no network connection. I can create notes just fine, and when I have a connection again, they sync to my account. Have you tried to create a note when offline? If so, could you provide some screenshots with the errors showing? Thanks!

thanks for your reply GrumpyMonkey! Not sure if I made myself clear, but I posted my message in the Evernote for Android board, because I want to know is it's possible too create offline notes on my (android) phone. So my question is not about the pc client.

Not sure how I can create a screenshot of my phone, but it's just to normal green screen (logo + evernote). Where you'd normally login, I know see "geen netwerkverbinding gevonden" (which translates as "no network connection found". Below that there's just one button "opnieuw" (= try again). So no way to create a note on my phone.

• Level 5*

Hi. I am talking about the Android client as well. Could you post a screenshot? It should be relatively straightforward, but the Android client is frequently updated and changed (I suspect the developers have overcome the need to sleep), so it would help to see your interface.

ok, I will try to do that tonight.

There's really no way to access evernote's app when there's no internet connection (not using internet via phone network as I'm abroad). When I disconnect with the app open, I can edit and create notes without problems. (just get a ststus aupdate that syncing failed, but it get's stored on my phone)

As soon as I minimize / close it and want to open EN again, I get blocked.

• Level 5*

ok, I will try to do that tonight.

There's really no way to access evernote's app when there's no internet connection (not using internet via phone network as I'm abroad). When I disconnect with the app open, I can edit and create notes without problems. (just get a ststus aupdate that syncing failed, but it get's stored on my phone)

As soon as I minimize / close it and want to open EN again, I get blocked.

That helps. I think you are saying that you can create and edit notes anytime (with or without a connection), and you have no problem using the app once. However, when you close or minimize the app and try to open it a second time, it doesn't work. Does that sound right?

A screenshot would help to better understand what is happening, but this is starting to sound like a bug, and you may want to also consider filing a support ticket (see my signature below).

Well, that's sort of like it:

I can open the open the app only if I have a connection. If I close my internet connection, while the app is open, I can continue editing/creating notes. If, when there's no connection, I minimize and try to get back (for example through the share -> Evernote - create a note), I can't get in EN.

As I'm not familiar with the android EN app, I thought this was normal behavior. In other words: that a working internet connection is necessary for using the app. I understand that's not the case?

I also have to login every time I start the app (if theres an internet connection of course). Is this normal? Or should EN remember me, even after having closed the app?

I have attached the photo, but as I said, it's in Dutch.

Also noticed another thing: it doesn't remember these settings either: only sync while having a wifi connection (I check that, and next time I login, it's unchecked again). Same for Offline searching (I check it, and it also gets unchecked). I haven't changed other settings, so don't know if it's just these or all settings that it doesn't remember.

Evernote-android-perhaps-bu.jpg

Ah yes, obviously the error doesn't occur now. I had no running apps, opened EN again without wifi connection, and got straight to my notes :huh: I hate it when things like that happen. Filing a bug seems fine by me, but if it sometimes works and sometimes not...

EDIT: I found out that Evernote is actually acting like it's being opened for the first time. That's why it wants me to log in or create an account every time (or won't open without wifi), has the default settings etc.

It seems this happens every now and then when the android os gets an update (which is my case, I went from 2.2 to 2.3 just a few days ago). I installed quite a few new apps, yet only 2 of them are showing this behaviour: Evernote and appbrain market. After logging into EN, I get the "explore evernote" screen.. I suppose that's intended only for the first time, not every time.

Tried deleting the data and cache in settings -> apps management, but no success.

I don't have an external SD.

Where does EN store the preferences? And why isn't that working like it should?

• Level 5*

Ah yes, obviously the error doesn't occur now. I had no running apps, opened EN again without wifi connection, and got straight to my notes :huh: I hate it when things like that happen. Filing a bug seems fine by me, but if it sometimes works and sometimes not...

EDIT: I found out that Evernote is actually acting like it's being opened for the first time. That's why it wants me to log in or create an account every time (or won't open without wifi), has the default settings etc.

It seems this happens every now and then when the android os gets an update (which is my case, I went from 2.2 to 2.3 just a few days ago). I installed quite a few new apps, yet only 2 of them are showing this behaviour: Evernote and appbrain market. After logging into EN, I get the "explore evernote" screen.. I suppose that's intended only for the first time, not every time.

Tried deleting the data and cache in settings -> apps management, but no success.

I don't have an external SD.

Where does EN store the preferences? And why isn't that working like it should?

Well, I am glad to see that things are moving towards a resolution for you. I think we have a better sense of what is happening. I don't know why you are seeing so many problems. Do you know your Evernote version number? I'm running 2.3.4 on my Droid phone, Evernote 4.1, and I am not seeing the issues you are describing. Updates often cause the phone to act strangely, but my apps usually escape unscathed.

Have you filed a support ticket? If you do, please post the ticket number here. It might help developers who wander into this thread to flag it and get more eyes on it.

GrumpyMonkey, thanks again for your time. I am going to do a fresh install of my phone, as I noticed things in several apps that were funny. Or let's say: not working like it should. Tried whatever I could, but something went very wrong during the update. So I will be backing up the most important data of my phone, install android 2.3.6. And the first thing I'll do: install the latest evernote to see if it finally works like it should :) I will keep you posted of course.

I did not file a ticket, as it's not an evernote specific problem, but has something to do with the os.

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey, thanks again for your time. I am going to do a fresh install of my phone, as I noticed things in several apps that were funny. Or let's say: not working like it should. Tried whatever I could, but something went very wrong during the update. So I will be backing up the most important data of my phone, install android 2.3.6. And the first thing I'll do: install the latest evernote to see if it finally works like it should :) I will keep you posted of course.

I did not file a ticket, as it's not an evernote specific problem, but has something to do with the os.

I hope that I was able to help. One thing I got out of our conversation is that Evernote could make it more clear what the app is supposed to be doing, so users who are having problems can easily recognize it and contact customer support. Perhaps a video showing Android at work and a mention of the support ticket link. The current videos focus on specific actions within the app, so you don't get a chance (as I recall) to go from login screen all the way to making a note (offline and online).

It would indeed be a great idea to get it clear somehow what you can and can't do with the app when you're offline/online. Especially that part wasn't clear to me, and I really thought an internet connection is necessary every time you want to create a note. A vid should be helpful.

Anyway, my phone needs a makeover which it will get tonight. EN is the first app I'll install after that. You were very helpful, thanks!

As promised an update: the Android-update through samsung's Kies caused a problem on my internal SD-card. Folder like dbdata weren't writable anymore, causing apps to behave like they were opened for the first time.

Anyway, I've reïnstalled Android, installed Evernote and needed only to login the first time. After that I could open the app, even offline to add notes. Hooray! O, and I love it :)

• Level 5*

As promised an update: the Android-update through samsung's Kies caused a problem on my internal SD-card. Folder like dbdata weren't writable anymore, causing apps to behave like they were opened for the first time.

Anyway, I've reïnstalled Android, installed Evernote and needed only to login the first time. After that I could open the app, even offline to add notes. Hooray! O, and I love it :)

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear that all is going well. The Evernote Android app is really coming along nicely, and I am sure you're going to enjoy it :)

Archived