(Archived) Incomplete sync, and backwards sync

rorywms

I just started using Evernote last night. I started on my Asus E-pad transformer, first of all a reminder list. Today I started a couple other notebooks with their own notes, for a class I'm taking. This afternoon I installed Evernote on my Lenovo laptop, and the notes all downloaded and synced correctly onto the Lenovo. After adding to all the notes and notebooks, the changes did not all show up on the Asus. The reminder list was the only note that did not sync correctly - in fact after re-syncing, the note on the Lenovo sync'd to the older version from the Asus?

Any ideas? It seems like errors in syncing are quite common??

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the Forums. Syncing between multiple machines can produce errors, largely because of the different times at which the machines sync, and the different accesses each has to the internet. I tend to use a desktop for 90% of my administration and a mobile for occasional admin but mainly lookup, and I've never had a problem (that I'm aware of) yet. If the Asus updated note wasn't synced by the time you started the Lenovo installation, the older note may have been filed in a 'conflicting changes' notebook or (perhaps) overwritten by the new entries, depending on the content of the note. If you are a Premium user, have a look at the history of your note, and check on the web client. If you have no 'conflicting changes' entries, no web version and no history available, I'm afraid the older version of your notes may be lost. To avoid any future conflicts you can only ensure that you sync both at the beginning and end of your session on any given client.

I just started using Evernote last night. I started on my Asus E-pad transformer, first of all a reminder list. Today I started a couple other notebooks with their own notes, for a class I'm taking. This afternoon I installed Evernote on my Lenovo laptop, and the notes all downloaded and synced correctly onto the Lenovo. After adding to all the notes and notebooks, the changes did not all show up on the Asus. The reminder list was the only note that did not sync correctly - in fact after re-syncing, the note on the Lenovo sync'd to the older version from the Asus?

Any ideas? It seems like errors in syncing are quite common??

Thanks.

If you understand how EN's cloud works, you'll have little to no syncing problems.

Thank you to both for quick responses. As to paying for premium, I looked into that and at this time I'm not sure it's worth it for me, especially if it's only to recover from occasional bugs in the sync'ing. Maybe I'll think differently as time goes on. As to the history file, if it's only updated once every eight hours, that may not help anyway. There were a couple hours in between doing notes on the Lenovo, then on the Asus - the history update may or may not have happened in that time.

I read the cloud and other sync'ing info, and I feel pretty clear about that. It's really not that difficult. Realize that I have multiple notes already in multiple notebooks, and all other notes sync'd correctly. I did have a thought that the one note was open and therefore for some reason didn't sync, however I just went through the same situation this a.m. and the sync worked perfectly.

Thanks again.

After adding to all the notes and notebooks, the changes did not all show up on the Asus. The reminder list was the only note that did not sync correctly - in fact after re-syncing, the note on the Lenovo sync'd to the older version from the Asus?

This says to me that you modified the older note somehow, so that it had a modified timestamp that cause the older note to now be the newer note. This seems further substantiated by your statement below...

I read the cloud and other sync'ing info, and I feel pretty clear about that. It's really not that difficult. Realize that I have multiple notes already in multiple notebooks, and all other notes sync'd correctly. I did have a thought that the one note was open and therefore for some reason didn't sync,

When moving between devices/computers, it's crucial to save the notes UP when leaving one computer/device. Then sync changes DOWN to the new computer/device before making any changes to existing notes. If you don't do this, then yes, you will end up having an older note overwrite what was really supposed to be the newer version.

Archived