(Archived) HOWTO: Get rid of formatting in imported text?

mkraft77

Idea

I ended up with some ‘strikeout’ text in a note and don’t see a way to remove it in EN, though I’m sure there must be one.

What’s the best way to get rid of formatting (such as ‘strikeout’) in imported text for which there's no equivalent formatting tool within EN?

Thanks.

4 replies to this idea

Is this a problem without a solution?

I've several times imported text into EN notes and ended up with some 'strikeout' ('strikethrough') text that I then couldn't find a way to get rid of (i.e., to remove the 'strikeout,' leaving only the text).

I ended up having to copy-&-paste the note to a 'plain text' editor to remove the 'strikeout,' and then back into EN.

This seems like something that there should be a more direct way of dealing with (i.e., without having to leave EN).

Yes, this is a problem without a solution in Evernote. There's been a lot of talk on the forum about removing formatting, so if you search for that you'll find a number of suggestions. Mine are FormatMatch and Notational Velocity. But again, those are workarounds outside of Evernote, and it seems you already have your own.

• Level 5*

Yes, this is a problem without a solution in Evernote. There's been a lot of talk on the forum about removing formatting, so if you search for that you'll find a number of suggestions. Mine are FormatMatch and Notational Velocity. But again, those are workarounds outside of Evernote, and it seems you already have your own.

I do the same thing. I'd also like to add that if you are having trouble with formatting in a note, it might be a good idea to use FormatMatch to get the text out, but you'll want to paste it into a new note.

Thanks for the FormatMatch and Notational Velocity recommendations.

Unless these have any standout features for interfacing with Evernote, I guess I can stick with Yahoo! Notepad for any 'strip all formatting' needs, since it does that very well; in particular text can be dropped in and then copied back out in seconds.

In cases where preserving some formatting is desirable, those other options are probably better.

Archived