(Archived) Evernote 2.2 side-by-side with Evernote newest version

Until today I was happy with Evernote 2.2 and have accumulated 6700+ notes in my database. Today I installed the latest version of Evernote because I have a mobile device (Kindle Fire) to which I want to sync. In fact, installing the new version went smoothly with all instances (PC, web version, Kindle Fire version) running well and sync'ing nicely.

But ... then I tried to access my Evernote 2.2 database and could not. Apparently, the new Evernote installed into Evernote 2.2's directory and clobbered it!

Can I run both on my computer? If so, how? I suppose it's a matter of installing into a different directory.

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Sam

P.S., I was so happy with the new Evernote installation that I bought a one-year Premium account, but there's no way I'm living without the 6700+ notes I accumulated in the older version.

P.P.S., I know, or at least I've heard, that there isn't a good (that is, easy and reliable) way to transfer my Evernote 2.2 notes to the online version. Is that right?

Until today I was happy with Evernote 2.2 and have accumulated 6700+ notes in my database. Today I installed the latest version of Evernote because I have a mobile device (Kindle Fire) to which I want to sync. In fact, installing the new version went smoothly with all instances (PC, web version, Kindle Fire version) running well and sync'ing nicely.

But ... then I tried to access my Evernote 2.2 database and could not. Apparently, the new Evernote installed into Evernote 2.2's directory and clobbered it!

Can I run both on my computer? If so, how? I suppose it's a matter of installing into a different directory.

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Sam

P.S., I was so happy with the new Evernote installation that I bought a one-year Premium account, but there's no way I'm living without the 6700+ notes I accumulated in the older version.

P.P.S., I know, or at least I've heard, that there isn't a good (that is, easy and reliable) way to transfer my Evernote 2.2 notes to the online version. Is that right?

You posted this in the "general" section. I will assume you are talking about Evernote 2.2 for Windows. If so, please read this thread.

I'm also "assuming" you have a backup of your 2.2 database...???

Evernote 2.x for Windows is so old that even the next two incarnations (EN 3.1 & 3.5) are no longer supported.

Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps I wasn't clear about what I want which is to be able to run both Evernote 2.2.1.386 AND Evernote 4.5.3.6131 on my desktop computer at the same time. I'm not particularly interested in moving my large Evernote 2.2 database to Evernote 4.5 or beyond, but I do want to start building a mobile database with Evernote 4.5. So, my question is can I run both versions on my desktop computer and, if so, how? If this is not the right place to ask this question, what part of the forum should I visit?

Because I have good and recent backups of everything, I'm confident that my Evernote 2.2 databases are in good shape.

-- Sam

I inadvertently stumbled upon a solution to your problem. If I'm understanding it correctly, you want to run both versions 2.2 and 4.5 on your computer. In my case, I had the older previously installed but I had modified the database file location to one which I created (to simplify backing up). When I installed version 3.5, it automatically installed it to a directory with the name [evernote35], so all the data defaulted to this one. Then, you simply upgrade the 3.5 version up and voila. In my case, I actually managed to have three versions working simultaneously: 2.2, 3.1 and 4.5.

Hope you had a back up of your version 2.2 data. Best of luck.

Archived