(Archived) BUG: Collapsed sections (months) keep re-expanding

soundsgoodtome

Idea

i'm using a saved search that's displaying thousands of notes, and i often have to view something else in EN, then return to the saved search -- and scroll down to where i left off. so, to help me find my place, i thought i'd view notes by date created and take advantage of the built-in "separations" by month. after working my way through everything in "january 2012," i clicked the triangle to collapse that month, and so forth.

well, the problem is that the months that i collapse keep spontaneously re-expanding, even while i'm still scrolling through the saved search! talk about frustrating... i haven't been able to figure out exactly what triggers a collapsed section to re-expand (although syncing may be one trigger). but for the life of me, i can't understand why syncing or any other function, for that matter, should have to "reset" the manner in which i've chosen to view my notes.

as a result, each time i return to the search, i have to spend time scrolling down and trying to spot my previous position. this is costing me tons and tons of time.

reporting this bug also leads me to related feature request:

when returning to a saved search, it would be great if EN were smart enough to return us automatically to our previous scroll positions. if necessary, one can always hit the home key to move to the top of a list. but it would be more useful if the default were for EN to remember our previous position.

thanks.

2 replies to this idea

Hrmm, thanks for posting. Will take a look at it. I don't think we currently have a way for keeping track of scroll position, esp if you haven't actually selected a note in view. Something something about the OS not letting us. If someone more technical knows differently I'd love to know (and possibly ask for your resume :( )

Hrmm, thanks for posting. Will take a look at it. I don't think we currently have a way for keeping track of scroll position, esp if you haven't actually selected a note in view. Something something about the OS not letting us. If someone more technical knows differently I'd love to know (and possibly ask for your resume :) )

thanks for taking a look. :)

it seems to me EN knows which notes are visible at any given time. so, when the user navigates away from the current view (e.g., a saved search), EN could simply "make note" of the topmost visible note. then, when the user returns to that view (e.g., saved search), EN would simply display that note at the top of the window again.

there are a couple of contingencies to consider. for example, what if that note has been deleted before the user runs the saved search again? well, in my case, i'm viewing notes by date created. so EN would take notice of that, as well: [a] which note is topmost, and the *reason* it's the topmost note (i.e. the relative date -- month or whatever). in my case, if that exact note were no longer in the database, just returning me to that *month* would be a huge improvement. (or, if notes were sorted alphabetically, EN could simply scroll to the note closest, alphabetically, to the deleted note.) :)

Archived