(Archived) Tab key function?

Huangqi01

Idea

I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to get a tab key function when typing in notes (as other word processing programs do such as MS Word.) That is when you hit tab on evernote it does not line up a certain marker but goes over x amount of spaces, thus trying to create nice looking columns in a document seems impossible. or is it? Does anyone know of a method?

Thanks,

-Jason

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Since the Evernote Note formatting is based on HTML, there is NO TAB in HTML.

Typically, one uses HTML tables for formating data in columns.

Unfortunately, the Evernote support for creating/editing table structure is minimal, especially on the Mac.

But it is the only way to achieve text alignment in Evernote.

As mentioned, creating tables within Evernote is very limited. However, you can create the tables in another application and paste them into Evernote (at least on the "downloaded" revision, I don't know about the online version).

I've done this myself using MS Word. With MS Word, I was able to create the table how I liked it and then paste it into Evernote. Not everything will "convert", but most of what I need does.

You could also use an online HTML creator program, such as http://www.free-online-html-editor.com , to create tables and other html-based features.

-Bo (bo@OneCourseSource.com)

• Level 5*
You could also use an online HTML creator program, such as http://www.free-online-html-editor.com , to create tables and other html-based features.

-Bo (bo@OneCourseSource.com)

Bo, that's a very nice online editor. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Makes one wonder why Evernote can't provide more HTML editing features if it can be done for free using a web-based editor. I don't need everything the online editor has, but some of the basics (like table editing, background/highlighting color) would sure be handy to have as I could use these features many times a day in Evernote.

Archived