(Archived) Clip to where?

markg2

Local client windows/browser FF

1. When I add a web clip, the Evernote popup provides a list of *existing notebooks and prompt for tags but does NOT allow for the addition (at that time) of a new notebook if the necessary category is not present. Any particular reason for this inconvenience?

2. Am I correct that Evernote only allows for 2 levels of outline. If this is correct, again I don't understand why.

1. When I add a web clip, the Evernote popup provides a list of *existing notebooks and prompt for tags but does NOT allow for the addition (at that time) of a new notebook if the necessary category is not present. Any particular reason for this inconvenience?

I don't know but I'd guess it's because for one reason or another, the notebooks need to be created from within Evernote itself. It could be because there's a technical limitation or it could be because it would require more code that has not been added for some reason. IE, time & resources.

2. Am I correct that Evernote only allows for 2 levels of outline. If this is correct, again I don't understand why.

Notebooks are only one level. Notebooks can be combined into stacks. Stacks are one level deep. Please search the board on tags vs sub notebooks/sub folders if you want more info. This topic has already been discussed at great length. Tags pretty much replicate using nested notebooks & that's the method EN has adopted. If you plan on using Evernote, you will need to accept that you'll be using tags rather than nested folders/notebooks.

The clipper(s) load the list of current notebooks to memory at start. IF you have added, renamed, or deleted a notebook since you started a browser instance AND you are used to selecting destination notebook when clipped, THEN you must exit restart the browser to make the updates visible.

e.g. In my case, it is not an issue because I clip everything to my default "Inbox" notebook for later processing.

I browsed several prior forum posts on tags then read a bit about tags in the KB. I need to work with the tags to understand how these things are an alternative to a multilevel outline format.

I got stuck right off.

Per the KB, you can nest tags simply by dragging one to another. I attempted (Windows locally) to drag one tag over another on an already saved web clip. The tag will not drag nor does the left click or right click have an effect. The only effect is the appearance of a delete 'x' at the right side of the tag. I attempted to drag the same web clip on the web side with zero result?

Mark

I don't get it then.

I've tagged a clip with 'computer hardware' and 'SSD'.

I moved SSD under computer hardware.

SSD displays (2) adjacent and that is correct--there are two clips.

I click on SSD and the center pane says no notes found.

So what again is the value of a tag?

Mark

Archived