(Archived) Premium

I'm trying to buy a year's premium subscription, but from the PayPal thing, it looks like I'm agreeing to have them take the money every year, which I don't want to do. I want to pay one time, and then when that runs out, renew IF I CHOOSE TO DO SO. I don't sign up for things that renew me automatically when I do nothing. (yes, yes, cancel-any-time, blah, blah, blah. Not the point.)

How can I just sign up for a single year, WITHOUT signing up for automatic renewal?

I don't do automatic renewals.

Auto-renewal makes sense as an option for something with a monthly subscription fee. One less monthly "check to write", so to speak.

But I don't see what purpose auto-renewal serves when someone pays for a year of something all at once -- except to take advantage of customers that didn't mean to re-subscribe but forgot to cancel, because there was so much time in between, and they forgot it was an auto-renewal. (Those who want to resubscribe will, without the autorenewal. If they forget, but are still using the service, they'll be reminded pretty quickly when they notice the premium features are gone.)

Looks like I can buy myself a gift subscription and bypass the auto-renewal that way. But the automatic renewal on the annual subscriptions purchased normally bugs me on point of principal.

But I don't see what purpose auto-renewal serves when someone pays for a year of something all at once -- except to take advantage of customers that didn't mean to re-subscribe but forgot to cancel, .

Huh? :roll: Hardly. It's for the same purpose as a monthly bill. Easier & you don't forget. It's certainly easier to forget an annual bill than something you pay every month.

If they forget, but are still using the service, they'll be reminded pretty quickly when they notice the premium features are gone.).

Yeah, they'll be "reminded" when they max out their account & have to drop everything to pay it. Or they aren't getting the emails that are automatically forwarded to their EN account b/c they've hit their limit.

I'm sure some people like it. If everyone hated it as much as I do, then it wouldn't be so common, because companies that have that as the only option wouldn't stay in business.

Roll your eyes all you like, but I don't do annual auto-renewals. 8)

Archived