(Archived) IMAP - How To??

"IMAP:

If your mobile device has an IMAP client, you can configure it to point to your Evernote account and pull down your notes as IMAP folders. Depending on the specific implementation of your IMAP client, this should let you have locally-cached copies of your notes and allow for searching and browsing"

The above qoute I got from the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5619&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=imap

I want to know how can I setup IMAP in my Windows Mobile. Provide me server and port details.

Im very much interested in this feature.

Thanks

The IMAP/POP interface is currently in an Alpha state, because it does not scale to meet our current requirements. We are testing a new implementation which we believe will do what you want. We hope to launch this in the next month.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

When the IMAP feature comes out, will we be able to edit text in the notes that we can view using the mobile's mail client? (IMAP intrinsically supports the ability to edit files on the server, right?)

Mofongo

When the IMAP feature comes out, will we be able to edit text in the notes that we can view using the mobile's mail client? (IMAP intrinsically supports the ability to edit files on the server, right?)

Neither the IMAP nor POP3 protocols allow you to edit the content of mail messages. They have some rudimentary support for changing a few hard-coded flags, but this isn't really relevant for our purposes.

Ah OK. I see...when I save a message I am writing in my IMAP "drafts" folder, then open it, then save it again, it gets saved as a new message (guess I never tried that...I assumed it would simply map the update onto the original). So as you say, one can only add and delete messages (or change their flags) but never edit. Thanks for replying and clearing up my misunderstanding!

In that case, let me cast my vote for what I would like to see. Definitely, doing IMAP as a way to quickly provide a way to view one's notes offline is the best short-term payoff...probably it gives me about 60% of what I need/want from Evernote on a moble. If, after that, you could provide a native client that could edit and sync text-only notes, that would be huge...say another 28% functionality. I mean, I really like all of the other fancy capabilities of Evernote on my desktop, but I can live without them on my iPod touch if I only had a way to edit text notes without being online.

I guess an expedient middle ground would be being able to write new text notes and have them added via IMAP to my Evernote account (maybe in a "drafts" folder?). If I really wanted to change a text note, I could write a new note on my iPod with the content of the change and upload that with IMAP; then later when I am at my desktop I just grab the content out of my "drafts" notebook just paste it into the note I really want it in.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to read the forums and reply!

Mofongo

Archived