(Archived) Duplication of data on hard drive?

demotlj

Idea

When I add a file to Evernote in a synced notebook, does it essentially duplicate the amount of space taken up on my hard drive for that file? In other words, if I have a document of 100 kb in a folder on my desktop and then I add that document to a notebook in Evernote in order to sync it to the Evernote web (both as a sort of backup and so that it's available to my other computers), is it now taking up 200 kb of space on my hard drive?

It's probably not going to be a big issue since I mostly keep text files in it, but if I were to begin keeping music or photos, I'd want to know. If that's the case, I suppose I could delete the file from its original folder but the whole idea of having a backup is to have two copies so that I still have one if the other one gets corrupted or something.

2 replies to this idea

It's probably not going to be a big issue since I mostly keep text files in it, but if I were to begin keeping music or photos, I'd want to know. If that's the case, I suppose I could delete the file from its original folder but the whole idea of having a backup is to have two copies so that I still have one if the other one gets corrupted or something.

My mantra is a girl can never be too rich, too thin or have too many backups. :) Pretty much every document/file I put into Evernote, i retain another copy on my hard drive. Just...in...case... Also, disk is so cheap these days, it's a small price to pay, especially if you have a lot of important information on your computer.

I also regularly backup my Evernote database, since I have some local/non-sync'd notebooks. The database backup is also nice b/c it's pretty large & would take several hours to download everything from the EN servers, should my working copy become corrupted.

Archived