(Archived) Editing MS Word documents within evernote

Hi - I have found when I am editing a Word document that is attached as a note in EN, and if the document is left open for long periods of time, the changes are not incorporated into the attached document. Instead, when I re-open the document, a new version is created (for example, xyz[1].doc, and the changes I had saved earlier are not there.

I assume there is a local cached copy of the document on my PC somewhere, but this document gets lost in the embedded version if the document is kept open for long periods.

Is there something I ought to be doing to prevent this from happening? My concern is that if I start using EN collaboratively, changes by my partners may be lost in the process on MS embedded documents.

• Level 5*

Sorry but I didn't understand your opening comment - "if the document is left open for.. long periods.." and "when I reopen the document" - do you save your document normally after leaving it open for a while, then reopen it to find the changes missing? Are there other changes present?

This business of having a numeric add-on to your file name sounds like Word coping with your having two documents open at the same time, or maybe if you are sharing with others and they have opened a copy of this file whilst yours lies open on your desktop, their changes take precedence.

If you didn't already know it, Evernote isn't a multi-access system (afaik) - neither is Word - so while your file is out there to share, you can edit and save your changes, and only then can someone else do so.

Anything else leads to confusion as you have found...

If I have thsi right, it could be a feature request for the EN guys -

a) shared files to flag if open on someone else's desktop, and

B) option for "read only" file storage so I can (forinstance) allow lots of others to see my files but not change them.

Sorry but I didn't understand your opening comment - "if the document is left open for.. long periods.." and "when I reopen the document" - do you save your document normally after leaving it open for a while, then reopen it to find the changes missing? Are there other changes present?

This business of having a numeric add-on to your file name sounds like Word coping with your having two documents open at the same time, or maybe if you are sharing with others and they have opened a copy of this file whilst yours lies open on your desktop, their changes take precedence.

If you didn't already know it, Evernote isn't a multi-access system (afaik) - neither is Word - so while your file is out there to share, you can edit and save your changes, and only then can someone else do so.

Anything else leads to confusion as you have found...

If I have thsi right, it could be a feature request for the EN guys -

a) shared files to flag if open on someone else's desktop, and

B) option for "read only" file storage so I can (forinstance) allow lots of others to see my files but not change them.

Yes, I save it normally, and the changes are missing when I open it again. The file opens with the numeric add on. This usually happens when I have the document open over a long period of time, say for 2 hours or so and then close it normally after saving my work. If I open, edit save and close the document over short periods, the changes are captured. I am not sharing the note with anyone else.

Thanks for fielding the question gazumped.

I think it may have something to do with Word's autosave - can you switch it off and test?

Will try that, thanks. Not being tech savvy by any stretch, would I have done that by going to Tools/Options and unchecking the "allow background saves" option in the "save" Tab (Word 2003)? And for good measure unchecking the "autorecover info every x mins" options too?

I guess so - I'm a Mac user.

Just try it as a test, you'll probably want to switch it back on again afterwards.

Thanks Metrodon, it worked. Switching off the autosave in Word kept the file whole and changes were intact. But I'll continue testing it to make sure its working perfectly. Seems to me that this is a very important point to bear in mind for those working off embedded MS documents in EN.

Maybe the best practice should be that one should not work off an EN file. Work should be done "off-site" and then uploaded when done, i.e. EN should be a pure repository, not a work desktop. Anyway, just my thoughts. Thanks to the regulars here with the helpful suggestions.

• Level 5*

I haven't noticed it happen before - but I am on a Mac - and I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I'm wondering if it's because you are using a relatively old version of Word...

• Level 5*

Glad to hear your problems are (apparently) solved. Just for interest, I'm on Vista using Word 2003 (11.8328.8333) SP3 with background saves and Autosave ON, and I habitually edit word documents directly from Evernote. I've never had a situation arise where changes were lost or the filename had a numeric add-on.

(For the record, Word 2003 isn't "old" it's just well matured. ;0)

Archived