(Archived) Handwriting experiences

ekajati

I'm curious whether ANYONE has managed to get evernote to recognise handwritten words in a photograph. It will not recognise mine no matter how clearly written (capitals on blank paper in several different pens). The support team have no explanation but just suggest that my photograph wasn't flat enough, my paper wasn't the right quality, etc etc etc. I'm beginning to believe the claim of recognising handwriting is just that: A claim. But I'd love to hear that I'm wrong from someone, especially someone who managed on an HTC wildfire. Tell me how you did it!

I have pretty bad handwriting but was able to find this note (ink note made in PhatPad & then screen capped to Evernote) by searching on the three words escape, unix, login:[attachment=0]_screen0.jpg[/attachment]

I have pretty bad handwriting but was able to find this note (ink note made in PhatPad & then screen capped to Evernote) by searching on the three words escape, unix, login:[attachment=0]_screen0.jpg[/attachment]

OK great, thanks - does the writing have to be made within a programme for EN to recognise it? Eg can EN not recognise handwriting made on a bit of paper and then photographed? The team told me they managed to get the system to recognise some of my words incorrectly (eg ATOM for NOTE) but have not yet told me the steps they took to achieve at least that. They also said the problem was because the paper was lined, the photo dark and the words not clear enough. However I also tried again with a pure white peice of paper and large black capitals, still nothing. Also I did all the syncing, and tried to search from the website rather than the handset. Nothing works. It could be that I'm not taking the right steps searching, who knows.

I have had very good with handwriting recognition in Evernote. I've taken pictures of notebook pages filled with meeting notes as well as all the scraps of paper my wife has stuck to the refrigerator and get at least 80% recognition. When I am more careful to write neatly it is more like 90+%. That has been with a variety of paper and pens.

One thing that seems to help is to make sure your loops are clearly written so that they are easy for the software to distinguish from solid lines. My handwriting is a mix of cursive and print characters so that may give me an advantage. I also use fountain pens which lay down nice clear lines but, as I mentioned, I've had good results a variety of writing from various people.

I have had very good with handwriting recognition in Evernote. I've taken pictures of notebook pages filled with meeting notes as well as all the scraps of paper my wife has stuck to the refrigerator and get at least 80% recognition. When I am more careful to write neatly it is more like 90+%. That has been with a variety of paper and pens.

One thing that seems to help is to make sure your loops are clearly written so that they are easy for the software to distinguish from solid lines. My handwriting is a mix of cursive and print characters so that may give me an advantage. I also use fountain pens which lay down nice clear lines but, as I mentioned, I've had good results a variety of writing from various people.

Hi I actually tried with capital letters on a white sheet and still nothing doing!

Archived