(Archived) Nested stacks?

Having searched the forums extensively, I keep seeing reference to the fact that stacks can't be nested. In my humble opinion, having been an entrepreneur for 35 years, and used many different systems to organize information, the only thing holding back EN from being THE killer business app is it's inability to allow more focused and better segregation of information/data through the use of nested stacks. It's a very useful app as it is right now, but the ability to nest stacks would be a light-years jump in usability. Any chance this is in the works?

Baron

• 1 year later...

Any chance this is in the works?

Probably not. Tags can accomplish the same thing. If you're going to be using Evernote, you'll need to come to terms with using tags.

No. In the context of evernote Tags do not accomplish the same thing. You can nest a tag in the right pane of evernote, but in reality you have to put 2 tags in a note - the parent and the child tag. Otherwise clicking on Parent tag will only let you view notes that are tag only with the parent tag. This issue is compounded when you have multiple nested tags.

If tags can accomplish the same thing. Then why do you think EN include the feature of Note Stacks?

No. In the context of evernote Tags do not accomplish the same thing. You can nest a tag in the right pane of evernote, but in reality you have to put 2 tags in a note - the parent and the child tag. Otherwise clicking on Parent tag will only let you view notes that are tag only with the parent tag. This issue is compounded when you have multiple nested tags.

If tags can accomplish the same thing. Then why do you think EN include the feature of Note Stacks?

I do not know why EN added stacks, nor do you.  However, one reason may be that it allows a user to search across multiple, but not all, notebooks.  Additionally, stacks only GROUP notebooks.  You cannot put notes into a stack.  Notes go into a notebook & stacks can group notebooks.  Some people have a work stack & a personal stack with the work notebooks in the work stack & personal notebooks in the personal stack.  So stacks are not like a parent folder/notebook/directory.  IOW, you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

There have been many posts by many people displaying a use case for nested notebooks over tags, especially when combined with descriptive titles & keywords.  I have yet to see one that cannot be replicated by using tags.  Additionally, tags are much more flexible, especially the more notes you have.  Jefito's example is a red ball.  If you're locked into nested notebooks, did you file it under toys, red, ball, round?  With tags, descriptive titles & keywords, you don't have to wonder.  You just search on red ball.  I'd also have to say probably 75% or more of my searches go across all notebooks & yet I'm still able to quickly find what I'm looking for.  And I have a lot of notes. 

And to reiterate:

If you're going to be using Evernote, you'll need to come to terms with using tags.

• Level 5*

Any chance this is in the works?

There's always a chance. That being said, given that they do not exist now, and may never, do you need help using Evernote as it is?

Probably not. Tags can accomplish the same thing. If you're going to be using Evernote, you'll need to come to terms with using tags.

Evernote added Stacks for the stated reason that it's hard to deal with a single list of up to 100 notebooks (the limit back then; now it's 250). So they added the ability to organize notebooks into stacks, and added the ability to search an stack. You can use tags to do much the same thing as stacks, but they're not identical, obviously. Depends on what you are trying to do, ultimately. Again, nested stacks do not exist in Evernote, and may never.

Archived