(Archived) Data backups

I am new to the Evernote Beta. I am finding the tool very useful, so much so that I am starting to put information into Evernote that I am not putting elsewhere. So, knowing this is a Beta, I am a bit concerned that I should start backing up my database locally, just in case there is a bug or something that deletes a notebook or 3... I am already using the Windows client, which I know keeps a local database. Does anyone have directions for backing up that database?

Thanks!

For now, you can select notes and then right-click to Export those to HTML. We also plan to add support for a more complete XML export format in both the Windows and Mac clients.

The service itself has an extremely high level of redundancy for all of your data. Believe it or not, each piece of your information is stored on at least 5 different hard drives across three different computers. So we believe we provide a fairly high level of protection for typical data loss scenarios.

Thanks

Evernote 2.2 had a feature for regular automated local backups as well as the local synchronization option, neither of which were implemented in 3.0. So, worrying whether your web based backups (there were none) was not the issue we have today. It ensures the local recoverability of your data, independent of the web service. Sounds like perhaps they have something like this coming. I would urge at least a reimplementation of 2.2 style local backups.

(I also argue for USB based local synchronization in 3.0 elsewhere in this forum, which I think would address this and other concerns.)

For now, you can select notes and then right-click to Export those to HTML. We also plan to add support for a more complete XML export format in both the Windows and Mac clients.

The service itself has an extremely high level of redundancy for all of your data. Believe it or not, each piece of your information is stored on at least 5 different hard drives across three different computers. So we believe we provide a fairly high level of protection for typical data loss scenarios.

Thanks

After you export to HTML, how do you get those notes back into Evernote? I just tried to export a note, then delete it, then use the Import feature (Notes --> Import) and it said INVALID_ROOT, line 1. I am using EN3 portable.

For a backup, can't I just copy my database file (.exb) to a backup directory or USB stick? That way, if my computer were to crash and I had to reinstall my OS and applications, after installing EN, I would just copy my database file (.exb) back to where EN3 is expecting it to be and I would have all my notes back??

Thanks,

David

For a backup, can't I just copy my database file (.exb) to a backup directory or USB stick? That way, if my computer were to crash and I had to reinstall my OS and applications, after installing EN, I would just copy my database file (.exb) back to where EN3 is expecting it to be and I would have all my notes back??

This would provide some short-term protection, but it wouldn't be generally useful for recovering (e.g.) notes from a synchronized notebook if you've already deleted them on the service.

Our planned export format would let you back up just the set of notes you need, so that you could independently back up just one local notebook (for example).

Evernote works best if you use it as searchable memory. To do that you need to know that you have local copies that are current, so if you lose web access, you still can get your thoughts.

I was loving Evernote until 594, when a syncing problem occurred.

Some info that may be helpful:

-You can sync the local copies by syncing the *.exb

which on a PC maybe in a folder like C:\Documents and Settings\DIvany\My Documents\Evernote\Dwighti.exb

This can be done using network or USB stick

-If you try to sync yourself, make sure to disable the automated sync, or it may more complicated

-Also make sure to close (not minimize) Evernote, if you use your own syncing software

Some features that would be important to allow users to manage there own backups

1. User should be able to specify the location of the *.exb. Many users already have backup and syncing software running on other folders. In my case the local My Documents is not backed up or synced.

2. Users must have a format for export that can also be imported. In my case I have local notes in build 594 that I can not get on the web server. I have tried many times, but when I add certain notes, the sync tool hangs at 84%. Ideally this will be possible before beta.

3. It would be nice to allow the web site to import *.exb files. So in a case where the web does not have the correct data, the user can import a local copy.

For users that already keep great backups and syncs, it is not reasonable to expect them to give up control of those essential comforts. I was loving the tool, but have stopped using it, because of the syncing problem that I cannot fix. What I am left with is a very long html page that I can scroll through.

I know I could write the scripts to manage this, but until there is a matching import/export combination, it is to risky to keep real data in the app.

Archived