Notebook Sort Options

Mitch Roz 3

Idea

I don't consider myself a large Evernote user. I only have about 35 notebooks. One item I do find annoying is the folder-level sort options, let me explain.

I do not share any folders, but I am looking to share with my wife. In addition to the current sort options of title, date create and data updated, I would like to see the following sort options added:

1. Ability to set a different sort order per folder. If I set FolderA to title, go to FolderB and set it to date updated, FolderA is also set to date updated. That is not the order I need for FolderA. The first thing I have to do every time I switch folders is set the appropriate sort order.

2. the ability to sort by the name of the user who created the note is also important when sharing. This would allow me to sort my notes into a group rather than being intermixed with the wifes notes.

3. Allow for multi-sort. Without #2, I can't consider using Evernote at work. We'd need to sort (group) by user within a folder. In addition to sorting by user name/id, you need the ability to sort by title or date updated within a user. 

I opened this under Evernote for Mac as that is my primary OS, but I also use Evernote on the iPad. Most others at work use Windows. So these items are really needed across OS. Thank you for considering these. Let me know if the sharing capabilities are already there and I just don't see them since I'm not sharing anything.

Mitch

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

For most of what you want, the answer is not „Sort“, the answer is „Filter“ or „Search“.

Searches (which includes a set of filters, so I will call it Search even if it’s done by filtering) can be very specific, in a way a sort can never be.

And searches can be saved for later / repetitive use, even as a Shortcut for fastest access.

To dive deeper check out the Advanced Search Syntax:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-Use-advanced-search-syntax

15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

For most of what you want, the answer is not „Sort“, the answer is „Filter“ or „Search“.

Possibly "most" but there is no search syntax for what EN is calling "Created by" or "Updated by". There is syntax for "Author" but the author field is blank in most of my notes.

I guess a workaround would be to have a tag for each person. Careful design of the tag would also allow notes from groups of people to easily be found

marketing_Sarah
marketing_John

tag:marketing*

You might even want to put in some unique identifier at the beginning of the tag name so you could identify any notes without a person tag. You could then run a regular check for notes that have slipped through without a name tag

name_marketing_Sarah
name_marketing_John

-tag:name*

Generally though I think that if you can add a field to a table you should be able to sort by that field. But we've been saying that ever sine V10 came out!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As you observed already the „Author“ field is very often not filled. So it couldn’t be used anyhow.

For the rest the answer is in most cases to perform a search, and then sort the resulting list of search hits.