Cross-Topic Note Organization?

How do you organize and tag notes for a research project that spans multiple topics? For example, how can someone structure their Evernote system when working on a paper that touches on history, economics, and sociology, to easily find and connect related information across these fields?

• Level 5*
On 7/27/2024 at 3:02 PM, Arthur_soc said:

to easily find and connect related information

If you have separate notebooks for each of your main fields but tag a note in one field with the names of others - something in History forinstance could be tagged  "economics", and "sociology" to be included in searches. General searches will also connect potentially interesting information - looking for "pies" might generate some information on the role cooking played in history...  Evernote is flexible with titles / names and searches - you can structure your information in whatever way you think best,  and change the system easily if you find a first try doesn't work so well...

On 7/27/2024 at 3:02 PM, Arthur_soc said:

For example, how can someone structure their Evernote system when working on a paper that touches on history, economics, and sociology, to easily find and connect related information across these fields?

Tagging is definitely the way to go, combined with a good knowledge of the advanced search syntax. I have a history tag which I combine with things like science, quantum_mechanics, local or nothing if it is general history. That ensures that an article on the history of quantum mechanics can be searched for specifically but will also come up in more general searches. Some searches I might use would be

tag:history AND (tag:quantum_mechanics OR tag:science)
tag:quantum_mechanics NOT tag:history