Evernote search shows deleted note.

Hi,

my searches in evernote surface a note which i have deleted about 10 days ago. This happen in evernote web, on the windows app and the iphone app.

Is there a way to clear the search index db or otherwise remove this false entry?

The last time i had this error was in 2022, and the only solution at the time for me was to export all my notes in the old account to a new account and then delete the old one. But now i would loose all notes links with this method.

My ticket number for this problem is #3924235

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're sure you don't need this note,  have you emptied your Trash notebook (on any platform - the change should sync through your account)?

@gazumped i have already looked in the trash bin on all the platforms, all contain no notes.

And i am sure that i deleted this note on the 22.06 or the 23.06.(so about 9 to 10 days ago) from the trash because i don´t like having any notes lie around for long in the trash.

The note appears to just exist in the search index, for example with @ shortcut i can also link to this note, but when i click enter, no link is created. And when i try to open the search entry of the note, on windows and web the note-window remains empty without any buttons and i cannot right click it the search result. On mobile, the search result for the deleted note gets replaced with an empty field.

Also in the activity logs i can see an error which contains:

{"name":"electron.main","hostname":"desktop-kp-win","pid":13424,"topicName":"broker:outside","level":40,"msg":"broker:outside Error: 4948ad50-9c69-497e-bae9-aeae6cdd6f8a: Unable to find Note","time":"2024-07-03T13:43:21.445Z","v":0}
{"name":"electron.main","hostname":"desktop-kp-win","pid":13424,"topicName":"boron:WindowEventHandlers","level":50,"msg":"boron:WindowEventHandlers Uncaught (in promise) Error: 4948ad50-9c69-497e-bae9-aeae6cdd6f8a: Unable to find Note\n3\napp://evernote/boronMain.js","time":"2024-07-03T13:43:21.447Z","v":0}

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  OK - if it's on all your devices,  it appears that it is the server index that is faulty - you could maybe confirm this with a 'clean' reinstall - 

Sign out of Evernote / don't save your data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app.  Power off and back on,  then re-download and reinstall from Evernote.com and leave Evernote running to rebuild the local data.  The new install is still initially a little slow - things get better after a few days.

That should not affect your internal links,  and if the issue continues it was clearly downloaded from the server.  There's an outside chance that the issue will be resolved by the exercise too!

@gazumped I did create a fresh new install according to your instructions, but sadly they error persists. The only thing that changed, according to the activity logs, is that isRentEnabled: changed false to true. But the search still returns the deleted note, which only opens a white note-window without content or buttons.

Interestingly, when i turn off the wifi on my pc(effectively forcing Evernote to offline only) and then do the same search, the search is much slower, but the deleted note is not shown. It seems like the newly created local search index db on my device is healthy, but whenever i am online, the index of the server is prioritized, and in this index lies the problem. Easiest way to check for me is searching for *. While doing an offline search, the count of the found notes is the same as number of notes in the left sidebar. When doing an online search, the number of found notes is bigger than the number next to notes in the left sidebar.

@surfshark This note did not contain any encrypted content, it was a web clip with a bit of content added later by me.

• Like 1

Just an update to this:

After Evernote-Support remained silent, i tried to find out if maybe another note was causing this problem somehow so one after the other i exported a notebook and the deleted it in evernote. Then i checked the search again. Well, in the end my account ended up with zero notes in it according to the sidebar, but search still show the deleted note when searching for everything (*). Also the deleted Notebook where the deleted note was inside still showed up as an suggestion in the search-windows and even the counter in the task-menu showed one task without any task appearing below. I suspect, this ghost task was also in the deleted note.

To finally be sure that the fault does not lie in my notes, i created a new account with a monthly payment and imported the exported notebooks into it. At the moment everything is fine with the new account, so i strongly suspect something defective on the backend of the server side of the old account.

• Like 1

@surfshark Do you maybe know what caused these kinds of deleted ghots notes? This is the already second account i need to leave due to them. It wasnt even two years old.

On my first account this was caused by notes deleted in the web app in firefox, on my second account this happened with a note deleted with the windows Client.

Officials are still investigating this issue
Or maybe not
I guessed it was a system architecture problem. Finally, it was solved by changing to a new account, so I didn’t continue to ask for the problem to be fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

@gazumped

Hi gazumped, sorry to bother you, but my Ticket to the Evernote-Support is now nearly a month old and my account didn´t get fixed. I got no reaction from support and my search-index is still defective, which is clearly visible in the web-version. I still got Ghost-Note, Ghost-Notebook and Ghost-Task.

And i can´t now even see ID, Created, and Last Activity under my requests, these three fields are all now empty for every request i have made in about 2 years.

Is there something you can do? Like mark my my ticket, so at least someone can try to reset my search index on the server or something like that? Thanks.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Spark594 said:

Is there something you can do?

Hi.  And sorry,  there's not much - if you've had any boiler-plate replies to your ticket,  I'd suggest you reply to those emails;  otherwise all I can do is flag this post to see if one of the Admin employees can chase it up for you.  Hopefully you'll get a reaction...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  And sorry,  there's not much - if you've had any boiler-plate replies to your ticket,  I'd suggest you reply to those emails;  otherwise all I can do is flag this post to see if one of the Admin employees can chase it up for you.  Hopefully you'll get a reaction...

Thanks, every bit of help is appriciated. 😊

On a second account of mine, i have also found ghost notes, when searching inside the trash bin.

So now i have an account with 12 ghost notes and an account with 3 ghost notes.

Interestingly, the earliest ghost note of from May 2024, so it seems like something has changed after that date, that has caused the possiblty for ghost notes.

Ticket-Nr. First Account: 3924235

Ticket-Nr. Second Account: 3945943