Request for search simplification in Evernote

timozu

Idea

An important improvement would be for the search engine to be able to ignore particular signs or accents on the vowels a, e, i, o, u and other letters. Let me explain: in the French language, for example, there are many accents on different letters. So if you're looking for a notebook entitled in french "Éléphant", you have to enter the exact word, with the exact accents. This means that if you do the smallest error in typing, you won't find what you're looking for. However, it would be nice to be able to find this same notebook by typing "elephant" in the search. Many other applications include this function already.

Could you consider implementing this feature upgrade in the near future?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5

The forum is user2user. You can send your idea to EN staff through this link:

feedback@evernote.com

In principle I like your idea - it describes a problem for many languages, not only French. As a word of caution: AFAIK the characters with accents are not stored as the original character plus an accent character. They are different characters, with a different character code in binary form. This means an index can not simply „forget“ the accent „character“ - it needs to make a conversion into the base character. Of course this is possible, if coded.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The forum is user2user. You can send your idea to EN staff through this link:

feedback@evernote.com

In principle I like your idea - it describes a problem for many languages, not only French. As a word of caution: AFAIK the characters with accents are not stored as the original character plus an accent character. They are different characters, with a different character code in binary form. This means an index can not simply „forget“ the accent „character“ - it needs to make a conversion into the base character. Of course this is possible, if coded.

Thank you for the feedback