🤔 Question: Does Evernote for Windows Always Ask for Login After a System Restart?

Hi!

I've been facing a peculiar issue with the Evernote for Windows, and I was hoping some of you could give me a hand. 👋🏼

Every time I restart Windows, when I launch Evernote it prompts me to log in again. I would expect the client to retain my login information for at least a few days after a restart. I couldn't find anything related to this in the program settings, and I'm wondering if it's normal or if there is some issue with my setup.

FWIW, if I completely close Evernote (System tray > right click > Quit Evernote) and start it again without restarting Windows, the program opens without asking me to login.

If this behavior is not normal, has anyone else experienced this issue or knows of a solution? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sounds like you're exiting Evernote by signing out.  If you use File > Quit Evernote in the main window,  you should find that a restart will open the app without a login.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Sounds like you're exiting Evernote by signing out.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not signing out of Evernote - at least, not manually / on purpose. It might be happening by some other reason, though, but I couldn't find one.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you use File > Quit Evernote in the main window,  you should find that a restart will open the app without a login.

I'll make some tests in a moment.

• Like 1

I quit Evernote (File > Quit Evernote), restarted the system... and Evernote asked me to login again.

From what I understand, this is not expected behavior, correct?

I did some logging with

cd %LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\Evernote
Evernote.exe --enable-logging

Some warnings called my attention:

[2024-04-16T11:25:38.056Z]  WARN: electron.main/17236 on Rico-i5:  conduit-electron-worker [["Unable to restore user User:xxxxxxx. Reset current user to no one. ","Error: Unable to switch account without its auth data\n    at y.assertValidUserAuthToken (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1552340)\n    at async y.setCurrentUserInternal (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1550723)"]]

[...]

[2024-04-16T11:25:38.071Z]  WARN: electron.main/17236 on Rico-i5:  conduit-electron-worker [["Conduit query me failed with error ","Error: Unable to run me resolver without a valid GraphDB\n    at t.validateDB (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1528047)\n    at h (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1508882)\n    at I (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:46:2959967)\n    at b (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:46:2959621)\n    at _ (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:46:2959150)\n    at v (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:46:2957351)\n    at S.getDataInternal (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1447775)\n    at S.getData (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1446981)\n    at S.<anonymous> (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1889649)\n    at t.ConduitUserCore.getDataInternal (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1391446)\n    at t.ConduitUserCore.getData (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1390072)\n    at t.ConduitCore.getData (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1375054)\n    at g (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:46:274391)\n    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:46:277774)\n    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:513:28)\n    at Object.onMessage (node:electron/js2c/renderer_init:2:9240)"]]

[2024-04-16T11:25:38.075Z]  WARN: electron.main/17236 on Rico-i5:  conduit-electron-worker [["Conduit query userSettingsGetString failed with error ","Error: No current user for setting local settings\n    at s (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1502392)\n    at async s (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1515417)\n    at async Promise.all (index 0)\n    at async S.getDataInternal (file:///C:/Users/inter/AppData/Local/Programs/Evernote/resources/app.asar/boronConduitWorker/834-2de5c1ef399ea0f78f87.js:4:1447757)"]]

To be clear, I'm seeing other CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) / Electron programs asking for log in after a restart (e.g., the Steam client), so I believe this issue might be something related to my device and how CEF / Electron works - but I don't know how to figure out the cause and a solution...

I managed to find the Javascript function logging "Unable to restore user ${n.userID}. Reset current user to no one.", via Developer Tools. I'm not sure I can (or should) paste it all here, though, but here is the most relevant snippet:

try {
        const t = (0,
        o.isNotNullish)(n.userID) && n.userID.length > 0 ? (0,
        o.userIDForKeyString)(n.userID) : null;
        await this.setCurrentUser(e, t, !1)
    } catch (t) {
        await this.setCurrentUser(e, null, !1),
        o.logger.warn(`Unable to restore user ${n.userID}. Reset current user to no one. `, t)
    }

There are many possible places where different exceptions can happen inside that try / catch. I'd love to run that code step-by-step to figure out what is really happening, but it would require at least one more restart cycle, maybe several...

I'd appreciate if someone could give me any hint about how I could proceed from here.

Thanks!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

I'd appreciate if someone could give me any hint about how I could proceed from here.

At this stage I'd say Support is your best (if slow) bet - whatever is happening on your local system is not expected behaviour;  looks like a conflict with security software or another app.  I doubt there will be an easy work-around,  but the Support team should be able to fix it...  hopefully...

I contacted support. Ideally, this issue should be raised and reach a developer to have a good chance of being solved, but in my experience this rarely happens... 

But at least I can have some comfort in knowing that I can always talk to the duck! 🦆

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having exactly the same problem, starting a few days ago. I never ever log out of Evernote since I'm in and out of it all day. And Evernote on Android isn't asking me to log in again, only Evernote on PC (via Chrome). It's very inconvenient. I hope someone sees this and looks into it.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, LizzieFingers said:

I hope someone sees this and looks into it.

If you're using the web browser version there should be a 'remember me for 30 days' option.  If not please contact Support with more detail - we're just other users here... https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

I just sent in a note. The "remember me for 30 days" switch has disappeared from both web version and Android version for me. Hope it's just a bug that they can fix, or a switch they can direct me to. Thanks for your prompt response.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

There are several queries about logouts from Chrome and Chrome-based browsers in the Forums - it may be that a browser-based update has caused some conflict,  in which event Evernote will sort it out,  or there could be a bug...  I'd suggest you contact Support (with due patience) or feed the situation back to the company.  Have you tried using an "Incognito" window in case there some conflict with a browser app?