057 - UI around internal links misses functionality (Ticket #3871813)

Problem Description
  • OK: With EN10 it is possible to display internal links as Text, Title or Preview
    • <I preferre Titles in the meanwhile ;-)>
  • OK: When displayed as Text, it's possible to
    • Modify link address (i.e. after Right-Mouse-Click)
    • Open link in a new window (i.e. by Ctrl-Click)
  • Fail: When displayed as Title or Preview you cannot do this
    • Neither after clicking on "..."
    • nor with Right-Mouse-Click on the link...

Expected behaviour
  • Offer complete and same functionality in all cases
  • Note (updated): To change the text of a Title- or Preview-link you have to change the title of the note they're pointing to
    • this is OK and by intend of these automaticalls updated links

Workaround
  • To change a link address
    • change it to Text mode
      • ... which is a poor workaround because it needs to change the note text
  • To open a link in a new window
    • Open link in main window, then click on "..." in upper right corner to re-open it in a new window
      • ... which is a really bad workaround because it replaces the current note in the current note window

See also
Edited by AlbertR
updated because of further discussions in thread...

I think the inability to open the link in a new window by ctrl+clicking it is probably just an oversight and should be easily fixed. I predominantly use text style and didn't realise this was an issue. With EN's current bug of not opening links in notes which are in a filtered list the only way is to open links is often to open in a new window.

Both the title and preview styles are dynamically linked to the target note. You change the name of the link by changing the title of the target note. I think this is the intended behaviour and should not be changed.

If you use the new feature of creating  a new note by creating a link (insert 🢂  new linked note) this is automatically created in title style, whatever you have set as preference, so that the name of the target note can be passed back to the parent note.

I would prefer all links to behave the same and faithfully represent the name of the target document.

UPDATE. The shortcut to open in a new window is shift + double click. To make it consistent with the behaviour of a text link I think it should be ctrl + double click.

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Both the title and preview styles are dynamically linked to the target note. You change the name of the link by changing the title of the target note. I think this is the intended behaviour and should not be changed.

Oups - my fail - You're right 🙂

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

I would prefer all links to behave the same and faithfully represent the name of the target document.

Yep - that the reason for me to use Title-style most often for the moment.

If Text-links would behave in this way (to show the name of the target - and in future the name of the title within the note), I would go back to Text-links because they're inline with my text and do not need that ugly gray box on a new line...

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

The shortcut to open in a new window is shift + double click. To make it consistent with the behaviour of a text link I think it should be ctrl + double click.

THX - or simply Ctrl-Click in all cases 🙏

• Like 1