Cannot create tags iniPhone web clipper

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

With Evernote v10 on iPhone, I can use web clipper in Safari via the share sheet. While clipping, I can pick an existing tag to add to the clip. However, I don’t see how to create a new tag to add to the clip. Is that possible or do I first have to go to the Evernote app to create the tag first?  Am I missing something?

• Level 5

There never ever existed a web clipper on iOS.

Web Clipper is a browser extension. For a very long time Apple did not allow browser extensions on iOS. Since maybe 2 years they do now, but only very few exist.

EN uses the iOS sharing process to clip from the web. Which is not comparable to the Web Clipper on desktop browsers.

One of the biggest differences is that sharing creates the new note on the device where it is used. The client must be open to create it. It then syncs from there to the server, and from there to all other devices.

The Web Clipper uses the API to the server. It creates the note directly there. The local client is not needed, it must not even be installed.

Hmm.  I could've sworn I had a Web Clipper app on my iPhone awhile back, but it disappeared around iOS 14...

Anyway, the process now seems to be to clip via the share sheet.  In the process, Evernote asks for notebook and tags to associate the note with.  I don't understand why Evernote cannot create a new tag, but can fetch the list of existing tags to choose from.  Sounds like an API adjustment is needed.

• Level 5
  • Solution

There never was such an extension. The only browser allowed on iOS was Safari / WebKit. Extensions were introduced with iOS 16. Up to now the WebClipper extension has not been ported from the Mac to work on iOS.

I don’t remember that there ever was an option to create new tags in the iOS sharing dialogue. Since it sends the data into the local client, the options it can use are limited. On iOS all apps run in their own sandbox.

The WebClipper doesn’t use the local client, it works through the API directly on the server.