Reinstate the location field in Note Info

jpservices

Idea

I had to migrate finally to 10.x (not my voice!) and one feature that I already reported as missing way back is still note their.

Annoying because among others I manage my POI in Evernote (Ah! I still miss the Atlas view...). I used to put a GPS coordinate in the location Note Info field, it did even reverse geo tag it (although I could do with out it) and then got on my mobile device the position of the point. I also use the API to extract this position and generate a GPX file for different navigation system,. The position on the mobile device still works fine but I can set the position on neither my PC nor my MAC nor the web version.

Could this field just be shown. If you have issues with the reverse geo code I can do without it

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

You can view the note location in note info on the mobile client. Only notes created on mobile, with GPS turned on and EN allowed to use the location data carry location information anyhow. You can add location data yourself, if you want to.

Search for location data is possible on all clients using the advanced search syntax.

On 3/3/2024 at 6:14 PM, PinkElephant said:

You can add location data yourself, if you want to

Dear PinkElephant:

Thanks for replying. How can I add location myself? On the non mobile app I do not find any mention of location. On the mobile version I can view it but did not find a way of setting it. How do you do this? Any clue?

Thanks

• Level 5

Open a note and then note info in a mobile app. 

If the note was created on a mobile app with GPS allowed for the EN app, the location is already there, showing as a Pin on a map.

If no information is there, a blank area shows below the other information, telling you „Tap here to add a location“.

If you tap a large map of your rough area appears. Zoom in and move the map until you see the area of interest, tap to set a Pin 📍 where you want.

If the map is already there, zoom in and tap on the Pin. You see „Drag and drop to move the Pin“ - so place your finger on the Pin, move it elsewhere on the screen and drop it there.

It is intuitive, but takes time. I think an alternative way to add location data by entering coordinates would be nice.

It would help if tapping on the map would simply add the current location, which usually would be „good enough“.

A different way is to create a set of tags with the location (Home, Work, Park, School, …) and add the tag. Search is way easier than by coordinates, and it is sufficient for most use cases.

OK. Thanks. On Android this works fine. Same on iOS. I actually need to long press the pin to get it to move. On Mac OS this does not work though. I have no access to the position location. Neither does the map show. Do you have a way to get to this position field on PC and or Mac OS?

Actually the solution for me could be:

a) have on PC and Mac OS the same function with the map and the drag of the pin as on the mobile versions

b) have a text field with the position in the note information that would show the coordinate and would be editable (also copy and paste able)

c) possibly a second position field with reverse geolocation of the said coordinate

On Legacy b) and c) was combined in one field and I found it annoying for remote places and when needing to enter the position in another GPS system

Thanks again.

• Level 5

No, it is only available on mobile.

As already posted above, there is no other way to access the location data somewhere hidden in the metadata.

It should be possible to export notes to ENEX, open it with a text editor, add the location data where it belongs, save the ENEX again and reimport it. This could likely be automated as well with a script. But it comes with some downsides from the export/import process.

OK. Thanks. Your solution above already helped a lot. On the Mac I will then work with the API to stuff the information into the proper field. Not great but at least on the mobile platform it works.

Thanks again.

• Like 1