updating evernote

Go to solution Solved by patricia@hubwest.com,

Patricia, since nobody smarter is here, let me try to help.  Can I assume you are Windows 10 since that's the area you posted in?  Usually, updates go pretty seamlessly.  Since you are having problems, let's walk through it step by step.  Here's what I would do if it were me.

• Log out of your Evernote Windows desktop app.  By this I mean go to the file menu and choose  "sign out."   (If you haven't done this recently, you should be sure your two-factor authorization works properly, you are confident that you have the right user account and password, etc., so that you can sign back in.  You  could choose the option to "remove Evernote data from this device" if you like.  Doing that will increase the chance that you will get a clean install.  Your data will still live on the Evernote server, so you won't lose anything.  It also means that Evernote will download your notes fresh is okay, but could take some time and slow down Evernote's performance for a while until the download is complete.  If it were me, I probably would keep my data for now.  If you still have problems after you do this you can always go back and reinstall again after selecting the delete data option. 
  • Next I would reboot Windows.  Why?   Well, why not.  It's kind of a universal cure for whatever ails you.
  • Then go to Evernote.com/download and download the Windows version.  This will get you the latest version.  Do not get the update from the Windows store.  Direct from the website is better.
  • Doubleclick on the installation file and the program will reinstall.  If a window comes up that says Evernote is already running, go ahead and check the box that offers to close it.

Go ahead and try Evernote.  Working properly?  Terrific.  Not working properly?  Sign out again, download and install a copy of  Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine), and use it to completely uninstall Evernote.  (The usual windows uninstaller isn't good enough.  People with problems have much better success uninstalling with Revo.

Reinstall as above.  Everything will likely be working.  Since you did a complete uninstall, Evernote will create a new copy of your data on your local drive.  This will take a while.  You can use Evernote while this is happening - Evernote will pull down notes that you ask for right away, but everything may be a bit slower until it's done.

Hope this helps.

Vinnie

Thank you for replying.  I did as you suggested and "signed out" and "kept backups" then downloaded update and it still did not work.  I am afraid to reinstall until computer lady is available.  if I 'remove data" will I lose my data? I have windows 11 and professional evernote

image.png.c735398ddbe641400eb432c072f84e7e.png

image.png

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, VincentC said:

Not working properly?  Sign out again, download and install a copy of  Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine), and use it to completely uninstall Evernote.  (The usual windows uninstaller isn't good enough.  People with problems have much better success uninstalling with Revo.

Reinstall as above.  Everything will likely be working.  Since you did a complete uninstall, Evernote will create a new copy of your data on your local drive.  This will take a while.

Did you follow all of @VincentC ‘s instructions?  Specifically the ones I copied above?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, patricia@hubwest.com said:

somehow I fixed evernote with revo

Glad to hear it.  Revo is a more complete uninstaller than others and tends to work in fixing bad installs where others don’t.