Ability to configure a default note template for new notes

kmslogic

Idea

It's possible this exists and I couldn't find it in settings, but the idea is that I want to be able to have new notes always start with a specific format (unless I override it with another template).  Something as simple as a configuration item in settings that says Start new notes with template [Default] and be able to change default to any existing note template.

• Like 1

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  So create and format your ideal note(s) and keep it/ them in a Templates notebook and copy/ duplicate as necessary to create clones.  Or export to one or more ENEX files and paste to your PC desktop - double click a file to create a new note with that content.  You could probably McGyver one or other of the automation systems from AHK to Zapier to give you more flexibility and even include user or system input for variables like dates as well as any typed content.  All of the above is available now,  while Evernote would not be able to develop something for months or years...

Just building on what @gazumped said, if you use the enex option but untick created date and updated date when exporting, when you import it again the current date is used for both these fields. If you use the copy/duplicate method you will need to manually change the creation date.

One other issue for all the methods, is that if you format your note by updating styles (surely what EN intend you to do) the styles are reset to default when copying, duplicating, exporting (any format) or making into a template. If this also happens for you let support know, because apparently they can't reproduce it, despite numerous posts on the forums. 

Setting a template as the default Note template would be so simple and yet it has not been implemented, despite users requesting this for years.

Hopefully, with the recent uptick in updates, this will eventually be addressed.

And the smart approach would ben to not only enable setting a generic New Note template, but to extend it to optionally enable a different New Note template to be set for  specific notebooks. That would make this even more useful ... It would simple be adding another attribute to the Notebook dataset, and then having to tweak the Notebook add/edit form. A competent developer could execute this so quickly - it baffles me why this has not been done yet.   

12 minutes ago, Jeff Walters said:

Setting a template as the default Note template would be so simple and yet it has not been implemented, despite users requesting this for years.

A small step in the right direction would be allow any template (EN's or our own) to appear under suggested templates on a new note. I really don't know why EN has decided that only 9 of their almost 90 tempates and none of mine can be added. How do they know which are most important to me?