Issues with search suggestions anyone?

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Hi there!

I've noticed that at some point in the past few weeks, the "search suggestions" have been greatly reduced or have completely disappeared. By "search suggestion" I mean when you start typing something in the search box and a list of possible completions appears below it. I've used them a lot to find notebooks or tags: just type in the first few letters and they would appear at the bottom of the search box, allowing me to do a quick filtered search.

Now instead, even if I type in the full, exact notebook title or tag (I did this as an experiment, though of course it defeats the purpose), no suggested filtered search appears.

IMHO, before experimenting with AI search, I'd make conventional search great again: let's not forget that super-powerful search is what made Evernote popular in the first place.

Working for me OK now but it wasn't in an earlier version. You don't even say which platform you are using but I would check you are on the latest version. I am on:

10.71.2-win-ddl-public (20240109093604)
Editor: v176.50.1
Service: v1.87.1
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

5 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

IMHO, before experimenting with AI search, I'd make conventional search great again: let's not forget that super-powerful search is what made Evernote popular in the first place.

I completely agree. Lots of little annoyances in search at the moment which should be fairly simple to sort.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Working for me OK now but it wasn't in an earlier version. You don't even say which platform you are using but I would check you are on the latest version. I am on:

10.71.2-win-ddl-public (20240109093604)
Editor: v176.50.1
Service: v1.87.1
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I completely agree. Lots of little annoyances in search at the moment which should be fairly simple to sort.

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the incomplete info: I'm on 10.70.2 (I haven't got yet the offer to upgrade to 10.71.2), on MacOS Sonoma.

Just now, gozzilla78 said:

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the incomplete info: I'm on 10.70.2 (I haven't got yet the offer to upgrade to 10.71.2), on MacOS Sonoma.

You don't have to wait for the offer. Just go to the EN download page and download it from there. https://evernote.com/download

• Like 1

Tried the new version; still, the suggestions are worse than they were until a few weeks ago (unfortunately, I can't pinpoint exactly when they stopped working). As a workaround, when I'm searching for a notebook, I use the "Open Notebooks" shortcut and I'm automatically in the search box.

• Solution
59 minutes ago, gozzilla78 said:

Tried the new version; still, the suggestions are worse than they were until a few weeks ago (unfortunately, I can't pinpoint exactly when they stopped working). As a workaround, when I'm searching for a notebook, I use the "Open Notebooks" shortcut and I'm automatically in the search box.

I agree that the main search does seem to give you fairly random results. I don't normally search for notebooks (I don't have many) but I just tried and it was very unhelpful. Have you tried using "Switch to" (Ctrl+Q on Windows but from memory something completely different on Mac). To illustrate the difference if I want to find one of my tags starting VO2. Using search:

image.png.ac8ebb974f34448bd7a595d20935a9cb.png

A reasonable selection of notes but only one tag. Using switch to and again typing in vo2

image.png.afbb55532a777429a446165f8405688c.png

That give me all of the tags starting vo2 but doesn't give me the one which doesn't begin with vo2.

Why EN have decided to implement two completely different algorithms to produce suggestions is a mystery to me.

Conclusion:

• ctrl+Q generally gives better suggestions than search
  • If you are looking for a notebook or tag then a general search is unlikely to be as good as the dedicated searches.

• Thanks 1