Evernote and Spotlight: a more than welcome combination

Rafael B

Idea

My suggestion is to integrate Evernote search with macOS Spotlight, a function that was present in the Legacy version and that many users miss in version 10. This integration would streamline the process of finding notes by allowing users to initiate searches directly from the Spotlight interface. By doing so, it would not only save time for users but also provide a more efficient and seamless workflow.

This integration could involve making Evernote's note content and metadata accessible to Spotlight, ensuring that users can retrieve relevant results quickly without the need to open the Evernote application separately.

I believe bringing back this old function from the Legacy version would be an excellent addition for current Evernote users, contributing to a more complete and familiar experience. I hope you can consider this suggestion in the ongoing evolution of the platform.

Thank you for your attention and the continuous efforts to improve Evernote.

CleanShot2023-11-18at18_53.09@2x.thumb.jpg.ad32ff65af950dc5531475bc351fd9b1.jpg

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Sorry to correct this statement - EN search on legacy was not possible with Spotlight in the last X releases of MacOS any more. And it was not removed by EN - it was gone after updating my MacOS (don't remember exactly which version it was, but before v10 launched).

This means IMHO you are barking up the wrong tree by asking EN to enable it. You better ask Apple support.

Beside this I think this is a very overrated topic. EN stores the information in a way that you need the app to extract or manipulate it. It doesn't help at all to find something with spotlight. You need to open the app and locate the information there when you want to use it. Finding it with spotlight and then execute an action on the raw data only holds the risk to corrupt the local database.

1 minuto atrás, PinkElephant disse:

Sorry to correct this statement - EN search on legacy was not possible with Spotlight in the last X releases of MacOS any more.

Here, Spotlight finds notes normally and opens them only in the Legacy version. I don't know why it stopped working on your machine.

• Level 5

For me spotlight stopped way back. We even had some forum threads about it, back in legacy days.

And in fact I don't need it. I doubt it would start working even if the data folder would be indexed. EN v10 runs inside of a framework - which is a Chromium browser with the app acting as front end. This effectively shields it from being accessed from the OS level. Since scripting doesn't work either, it is a pretty closed operation. Beside this the data structure needs the app to be read - you just need to take a look at how information is stored to see this.

I thought about creating a workaround: indexing the titles and tags of my notes in a favorites menu and app links. This way, I could have Spotlight and Alfred search through these links and direct me straight to the app. The challenge is that this involves programming, time, and manual updates. Haha!

P.S.: Notion indexes on iOS Spotlight, and it's built on the same framework as Evernote.