Templates: Enable better template management (faster template acces, creation and editing), and allow custom templates in the "Suggested Templates" view

snajdov

Idea

I have templates that I constantly improve with new ideas.
Currently, in order to edit an existing template, I need to create a new note, save it as a template, and then delete the old one.
Another thing is, in order to access the "Template Gallery" you have to create a new Note, which I think is neither fast nor intuitive.

That's why I would suggest to:
- Create a separate "Templates View" or a special "Templates Notebook" where all templates will be stored, and just go there and edit it directly.
- This will prove a fast way to access the "Gallery", and also a fast way to edit them.

Also, I'd like to have those custom templates pop up in the "Suggested Templates" when you create a new empty Note.
I believe that'll save tons of time for all users.

What do you think? Am I missing something?

(I use the Linux Desktop Beta version)

• Like 2

4 replies to this idea

36 minutes ago, snajdov said:

(I use the Linux Desktop Beta version)

This version is now very old and EN has announced they will not be pursuing a Linux desktop version.   However there have not been any significant improvements in the handling of templates. If anything it is worse, as modified header styles are no longer saved in templates.

I agree with everything you say. 

36 minutes ago, snajdov said:

Create a separate "Templates View" or a special "Templates Notebook" where all templates will be stored, and just go there and edit it directly.

There is absolutely no reason why you can't do this yourself and use the copy or duplicate function to create a note from your "template" notes. 

The disadvantage with that approach is that you need to manually change the creation date. A really nice alternative is to export the enex file of your template note but don't choose to save the creation date and updated date. Then attach the enex file to a note. Double clicking the enex file creates a new note in your default notebook with the correct created date. 

I was playing about with various ways you could then create your own template page

image.thumb.png.d14a71c1aae20de51e94bf98d710eeb4.png

Note that both these approaches allow you to have tags on your "template", which the official template system won't allow..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Mike P said:

There is absolutely no reason why you can't do this yourself

This is a good point. It doesn't solve the "Suggested Template" issue, but it's worth a try.

8 minutes ago, Mike P said:

A really nice alternative is to export the enex file of your template note but don't choose to save the creation date and updated date. Then attach the enex file to a note. Double clicking the enex file creates a new note in your default notebook. 

I'll try this, as well. Thanks for the feedback, Mike!

These are great, but I still think we should push to get this built into Evernote.
I think they can add it pretty much without any problems, and it shouldn't conflict with their existing architecture.
It's basically a special way for "storing" and "duplicating" notes, things they already support.
Just imagine: you open a new note and tap the template, instead of navigating through other Notes and Notebooks to achieve this.

@EvernoteTeam are you reading this? :D

P.S. Please at least provide updates for the AppImage with Electron for Linux.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dave Green said:

Clever idea @Mike P -- does it maintain the heading styles?

Sadly no, although I do believe that the loosing of saved styles is a bug that will eventually get solved. It does however get over some of the limitations that have been designed in to the current template system for which i'm less hopeful of a resolution.

• Thanks 1