Rename a TAG

Hello,

I am using a MacBook Pro with the latest OS along with Evernote desktop app (10.60.4). 

I am trying to edit the name of a TAG but repeatedly fail. I have searched online and nothing suggested appears to work.

Please advise

TIA

Jason

7 minutes ago, Jason Moran said:

I am trying to edit the name of a TAG but repeatedly fail.

I normally right click the tag in the sidebar or in the main tag view and choose rename tag. Are you saying this doesn't work for you?

1 minute ago, Jason Moran said:

Hi Mike. Correct, I can scroll thought tags using up and down arrows. However, I cannot rename aforementioned tag. I have tried both the desktop app and online and neither work

You responded to that after I deleted it because I realised that I hadn't actually answered the question! Good news though.

In the main tags window you can scroll through the tags with the down and up arrows and open and close nested tags with the right arrow and left arrow..

image.png.c8dee9f044e75ee675391e1b5e066737.png

Once the tag you want to rename is highlighted as show above you can press F2 (Windows, so Mac might be different) to rename the tag. Here is the screen shot of the right click menu for info only.

image.png.cd6138bef31943463f8e5f88ff7e3beb.png

You then get a rename tag window

image.png.9cc60566ce8a71d154e06341787007df.png

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

You responded to that after I deleted it because I realised that I hadn't actually answered the question! Good news though.

In the main tags window you can scroll through the tags with the down and up arrows and open and close nested tags with the right arrow and left arrow..

image.png.c8dee9f044e75ee675391e1b5e066737.png

Once the tag you want to rename is highlighted as show above you can press F2 (Windows, so Mac might be different) to rename the tag. Here is the screen shot of the right click menu for info only.

image.png.cd6138bef31943463f8e5f88ff7e3beb.png

You then get a rename tag window

image.png.9cc60566ce8a71d154e06341787007df.png

Hi Mike. I've tried this and managed to select the tag, However, I'm using a Mac and don't appear to have any option to edit or rename, remove or delete. The only option I have is to 'Add to Shortcuts' (whilst control clicking)

• Sad 1
33 minutes ago, Jason Moran said:

Hi Mike. I've tried this and managed to select the tag, However, I'm using a Mac and don't appear to have any option to edit or rename, remove or delete. The only option I have is to 'Add to Shortcuts' (whilst control clicking)

We need somebody else who uses a Mac to comment then. Normally the desktop apps are pretty much identical, but if when you select a tag in the tags window and press F2 it  doesn't open the rename tag dialogue there is obviously a difference here.

@Boot17 sorry to mention you but we need a helpful mac user!!

• Like 1

F2 works just fine to rename a tag for me on a Mac too -- in both the Desktop version and the web version.

I left-click on Tags in the side bar and then scroll down with the arrow keys and press F2 on the tag name that I want to rename.

image.png.bc40a1ea237258f7bdbc0084b5abf0f5.png

@Jason Moran Can you give us some screenshots of what you are seeing? I'd like to see this menu that only says "Add to Shortcuts". Plus there might be other visual indicators that could help us figure it out.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

I can also Ctrl-Left-Click on a tag in the side bar (again, on a Mac) and get this popup menu. This one only works with the Desktop app, not the Web app.

image.png.0786866fdf47aa6e3fce0a95e3db9d6f.png

1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

F2 works just fine to rename a tag for me on a Mac too -- in both the Desktop version and the web version.

I left-click on Tags in the side bar and then scroll down with the arrow keys and press F2 on the tag name that I want to rename.

image.png.bc40a1ea237258f7bdbc0084b5abf0f5.png

@Jason Moran Can you give us some screenshots of what you are seeing? I'd like to see this menu that only says "Add to Shortcuts". Plus there might be other visual indicators that could help us figure it out.

I'm using Mac desktop version. This is what happens when I press Ctrl click on TAG. I only get the pop up menu to 'Add to Shortcuts'. I want to remove the number 1 after the word Nteractive

Screenshot2023-08-17at20_08_50.png.39f7f77fe333c0910ef3c46c285cb1c6.png

Hrm - weird. If you hadn't already said you were running version 10.60.4, I'd think you were running something like version 10.12 or something from soon after Version 10 was initially released (as it seems like there was very limited tag functionality when it first released, but can't remember for sure).

• Like 1

Although shortcuts are not officially suported in the web version some of them do work. I've just tried and the web version works exactly the same as the desktop version. If you scroll through the list of tags with the arrow keys you can either use the three dots or F2 to edit the tag. Worth trying.

• 7 months later...

On windows 10.80.3 and web interface I also see what Jason Moran is seeing and only see an option to "Add to Shortcuts". F2 does not do anything, and there are not three dot menu buttons next to the tag name. They seemed to have completely removed the interface for editing tags.

• Sad 1
15 hours ago, dack said:

On windows 10.80.3 and web interface I also see what Jason Moran is seeing and only see an option to "Add to Shortcuts". F2 does not do anything, and there are not three dot menu buttons next to the tag name. They seemed to have completely removed the interface for editing tags.

The web and desktop versions are different because you can't right click on the web as that gives you browser commands. There are also two places you can work with tags. This is what I am seeing (10.81.4 on windows, 10.81.6 on web).

Sidebar

Windows desktop

No three dots. Right click to access menu:

image.png.546c8ad18d43a9ee73b799bd4131b2e7.png

Web (Chrome browser)

No three dots so can't doing anything from here (other than click the tag to filter obviously)

Main tags pop out window

Windows desktop

Three dots when you hover over a tag or right clicking  give the same menu as above

Web (Chrome browser)

Three dots when you hover over a tag  gives the same menu as above